Send us your question
What is the cabinet?
The Cabinet, also known as the Executive, is the main policy-making body of the Council and carries out Council functions that are not the responsibility of any other part of the Council, whether by law or under the constitution. It consists of an Executive Leader together with at least 2, but no more than 9, Councillors appointed by the Executive Leader.
At Wigan, the Cabinet (Executive) consists of eight senior Councillors who are each ‘Portfolio Holders’ for a major area of responsibility.
The Leader will maintain a list, setting out which individual Cabinet members are responsible for particular functions.
From May 2018, the Executive Leader has decided that up to five Lead members will support the Cabinet members and attend Cabinet meetings, but will not be members of the Cabinet (Executive) themselves.
In accordance with the Local Government Acts 1972 and 2000, they will not have decision-making powers in their own right.
See below names of portfolios of the eight Cabinet members and five Lead members.
Cabinet members 2018/19
- David Molyneux - Executive Leader, Portfolio holder for Economic Development and Regeneration
- Keith Cunliffe - Deputy Leader, Portfolio holder for Adult Social Care
- Jenny Bullen - Portfolio holder for Children and Young People's Services
- Chris Ready - Portfolio holder for Communities and Neighbourhoods
- Terry Halliwell - Portfolio holder for Housing and Welfare
- Carl Sweeney - Portfolio holder for Planning and Environmental Services
- Kevin Anderson - Portfolio holder for Police, Crime and Civil Contingencies
- Nazia Rehman - Portfolio holder for Resources, Finance and Transformation
If you have any further questions, you can contact the Cabinet Office on 01942 827744.