To make sure that we meet the highest standards of access, we actively test and modify our pages to meet the required government level of accessibility, tested against the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) recommendations as published by the World Wide Web Consortium (external link).
Occasionally, where we have to use external third-party applications, those pages may not pass all accessibility checks.
We use ReciteMe to help users with differing needs to access our website by clicking on the audio/visual help tool on the top left hand corner of our website.
- Audio - Read the page out loud and rewind, forward or skip text
- Font - Enlarge or decrease the size of text and change the font type
- Colour - Change the colour of the background text or links
- Ruler - Use a reading ruler
- Margins - Change the dimensions of the margins to narrow the width of a column
- Screen mask - Block distractions on screen using a mask to focus your view of a particular section
- Dictionary - Highlight a word and find its definition
- Translation - Translate text in multiple languages
- Plain text - Strip out all formatting
- MP3 - Convert text to MP3
- Magnify - Use the magnifying glass to magnify text on the screen
- Settings - Adjust the settings to suit your needs
Find out more about using ReciteMe (external link)
Increase the font size on your browser
If you need to increase the size of the text on the screen your internet browser can do that for you.
- Simply hold down the Ctrl button and click the plus sign (+) to increase and the minus sign (-) to decrease.
The BBC have lots of other advice for making the web easier to use (external link).
Deaf Support Service for Wigan Deaf Community
We work with Topp Language Solutions to provide a remote text, email and video interpreter service for residents with a hearing impairment, available from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
To access the service, you will need to:
- Be a person who is deaf / BSL user
- Have a problem you need support with
- Live in Wigan Borough
Text or email our friendly team with a brief description of your issue and we’ll get you the support you need.
If you or someone you know is experiencing problems accessing our website, or if you have any comments on its accessibility, please contact the web team and we will do our very best to help.