Executive Leader, Portfolio holder for Economic Development and Regeneration and Chairman of The Cabinet.
Main roles and responsibilities
- Implementing Deal for the Future
- Policy direction, finance, partnership working; external relations within Greater Manchester and at national level.
- Responsibility for performance of Cabinet members and of Lead members
- Strategically, this role covers planning, transportation, delivery of future housing, infrastructure, economic development and skills and green infrastructure needs.
- Ensuring that there is a diverse range of housing to meet the borough’s needs and taking advantage of Wigan’s key strategic location between the M6 and the M61, and on the west coast mainline.
- Increasing the borough’s skills levels, along with revitalising our towns and district centres.
- Working with key partners in the private and public sectors to secure inward investment and market Wigan as a key partner in Greater Manchester and the wider region.
- The Places Directorate has an important role in making Wigan Borough a prosperous and attractive place to live. This means planning for jobs, homes, shops and leisure, protecting both the environment and the borough’s residents to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, gender or affluence, shares in the opportunities on offer.
Priorities for 2018/19
The Leader’s role cuts across all functions of the Council including Public relations and Communication.
- Investing in Wigan/Wigan Works Building
- Economic Development
- Physical Regeneration
- Transport Plan and Strategy
- Youth Unemployment
- Skills Strategy/Apprenticeships
- Business Retention/Creation
- Business Rates generation/retention
- Job retention/creation
- Major projects
- Visitor Economy
- Town Centre Events
- Digital Infrastructure
- Local Government Association General Assembly
- Manchester Airport Group plc (shareholders’ representative)
- Special Interest Group of Municipal Authorities (SIGOMA) (Vice Chair)
- AGMA Executive Board
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority
- Leigh Sports Village Limited
- National Association of British Market Authorities
- Health and Partnership Board (Chair)
If you have any questions, you can contact The Leader on 01942 827001.