Due to the current situation, there are rules in place at each recycling centre that you must follow:
- Due to safety concerns queueing outside of the site will be restricted, residents may be asked to leave and return at a later time
- If any households have had COVID-19 symptoms, then the waste should be left for 72 hours before being brought to site. Waste should be doubled bagged
- If you have medical waste this should be placed in your black bin and the excess general waste brought to site.
Apply for a waste recycling permit
Permits can be applied for on the same day you wish to take your waste, as they will be sent to your computer or mobile device within 2 hours of making your order online.
A waste permit allows you ONE visit to the recycling centre. You can request 2 types of permits:
To find out more:
Wigan Borough has three waste and recycling centres in the following locations:
KirklessMakerfield Way, Higher Ince, WN2 2PR01942 825755
Slag LaneLeigh, WA3 1BZ01942 261633
Chanters Chanters Industrial Estate, Atherton, M46 9BP01942 897949
Opening hours (inc. Bank Holidays):
- Summer - everyday, 8am to 7:45pm (from last Sunday in March)
- Winter - everyday, 9am to 5:45pm (from last Sunday in October)
Site closed: Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Abusive behaviour towards members of staff will not be tolerated and may result in being denied access to any of the recycling centres.
Accepted: All van shaped vehicles, camper vans, minibuses and tipper vehicles will require a free waste permit before attending site.
No trailers of any type will be accepted
- 5 mph speed limit at all sites
- Tipping machines cannot be used
- Pedestrians cannot carry waste onto sites
- Access to sites will be removed for people using abusive or intimidating behaviour
- Access to sites will be removed for people misusing the waste recycling permits
Hire vehicles: Hire your vehicle then order your free waste recycling permit. When attending the recycling centre, please take the hire vehicle documents, waste permit and driving licence with you.
Items that can be recycled at the centres
To ensure your items are recycled correctly, please separate your waste before you visit a recycling centre.
Paper, Glass, Plastic
- Card (no glitter)
- Telephone directories
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic bottles, pots and tubs
- Hard plastics
- Media (CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray)
Foil, Cans, Metal
- Scrap metal (ferrous and non-ferrous)
Appliances, Bulbs, Batteries
- Small electrical appliances (kettles, toasters etc.)
- Large domestic appliances (washing machines, dryers etc.)
- Fridges and freezers (any domestic fridge/freezer up to maximum size of American-style upright fridge) Please remove all items from fridge/freezers beforehand.
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Mobile phones
- Fluorescent tubes
- Eco bulbs and traditional bulbs
- Household batteries
Building materials, Garden
- Plasterboard (monitoring system in place)
- Wood and timber
- Garden waste (no food waste - please place in your green bin)
- Soil, hardcore and rubble (monitoring system in place). Rubble also includes:
Sanitaryware (ceramic, porcelain, toilet, sink, shower trays, bidets, cisterns etc.)
- Car batteries
- Used engine oil
- Tyres (maximum of 4 x car tyres)
- Mixed textiles, clothes and duvets
- Cooking oil
- Print cartridges
Please note: Petrol and Diesel are not accepted at any of the recycling centres.
Local recycling points
Full or damaged recycling points
If you find a recycling point that is full or damaged, you should report it to the relevant organisation. See contact details below:
- The glass recycling banks are serviced by Glass Recycling (UK), call 01226 727298 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clothing/shoe banks are serviced by different charities and the contact details should be displayed on the bank itself. If there are no contact details provided, you can contact the waste and recycling team with the location of the bank and the type of recycling it's used for
- Can recycling banks are serviced by Wigan Council, you can contact the waste and recycling team with the location of the bank.