Access policy for recycling centres
Wigan Council and its contractors FCC Environment operate a recycling centre access policy. This policy helps to reduce congestion, increase site safety and prevent the illegal deposition of trade waste at the centres. On arrival at the recycling centre, the meet and greet attendant will inspect the items you wish to deposit. The recycling centres are for Wigan residents only. The usage of the recycling centres are monitored, and suspected abuse will be investigated, and a permit may be withdrawn as a result. FCC Environment reserve the right to refuse access to anyone not complying with the access policy or attempting to deposit trade waste.
Trade waste is not permitted at any of the recycling centres, this includes waste from traders, landlords or property developers. Depositing trade waste at a Wigan Borough household waste recycling centre may amount to the commission of a criminal offence under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Please load your vehicle safely and try to separate your waste before visiting one of the recycling centres. This will help us to re-use, recycle and compost as much of the waste as possible at the Wigan recycling centres because these treatments are almost always cheaper and better for the environment.
The health and safety of site users is our top priority. Please ensure all children and animal stay within the car. See below to find out if your vehicle is accepted at our recycling centres:
Slag Lane and Chanters Recycling Centres will accept household waste brought to sites in:
- A car with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long*
- A van under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- A car or van under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer (up to 3m long) WITH A PERMIT
Kirkless Recycling Centre will accept household waste brought to site in:
- A car with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long*
- A van under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- A car or van under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer (up to 4m long) WITH A PERMIT
*Please note: Trailer length is measured from the hitch to the end of the trailer.
If you visit a recycling centre with a van towing a trailer (double or single axle) and there is waste in both the van and the trailer, you will need two permits.
- Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes WILL NOT be allowed at any of the recycling centres
- Vehicles WILL NOT be allowed to use a tipping mechanism at any of the recycling centres, they must be manually unloaded
- Trailers over 4 metres WILL NOT be allowed at any of the recycling centres
- Trailers over 3 metres long WILL NOT be allowed at Slag Lane or Chanters recycling centres
- Anyone deemed to be using abusive or intimidating behaviour WILL NOT be allowed to use any of the recycling centres
- Pedestrians WILL NOT be allowed to carry waste onto any of the recycling centres.
For this permit scheme, vans and pick-ups are defined as a vehicle with one or more of the following features:
- No rear or side facing windows
- No missing rear seats
- Any ‘flat back’
- Any ‘pick up’ vehicle, with or without detachable cover to rear load area
- Any vehicle with ‘blanked out’ rear windows
- Designed to carry goods rather than people.
To obtain a signal use waste permit you must login or register for MyAccount and select 'bins and waste'. The recycling centres are for Wigan Borough residents only to deposit waste or recycle materials from their own property. The amount brought to site should be reasonable but depends on the size of vehicle used. There is no limit, however, excessive usage will be investigated, and permit applications may be refused.
The permit system is monitored. We will review the number of visits made by individual residents and/or vehicles to the recycling centre and we may contact you if it appears that the number of visits you or your vehicle make might suggest activity more like that of a trader than a householder.