Bins - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Charges and ordering

Which bins do you charge for?

A charge will apply for all replacement black bins and recycling bins.

When do I have to pay for a bin?

You will be required to pay when your bin has gone missing or you have damaged your bin beyond economical repair.

How much is the bin?

View bin charges - this covers the cost of administration and delivery of bins.

How do I order a bin?

You will need to complete our online form to request a new or replacement bin / caddy:

If you need support with this, you can visit our Life Centres in Wigan or Leigh or any one of the Council’s libraries.

How do I pay?

You can pay online through our secure payment system by debit or credit card at the time you place the order. Please note we do not accept cash, cheques or postal orders.

I don’t live in Wigan, can I order a bin for a family member who lives in Wigan?

Yes, but it must be for a property in Wigan where the person lives. You will need to use the Wigan address when placing the order.

Can I create a MyAccount even if I don’t live in Wigan?

Yes, but you will need to register at the property in Wigan where the bin is to be delivered.


How long will delivery take?

We aim to deliver the bin within 4 weeks from the date of order and payment.

What time of the day will my bin be delivered?

Delivery will take place between 6.45am and 16.30pm, Tuesday to Friday. Deliveries do not take place on Bank Holidays or weekends.

Do I need to be at home to accept delivery of my bin?

No, you do not need to be home as we will always try to leave your bin in a secure place at your property.

Can I collect my bin from you?

No, there is no facility for collection.

New build properties

I have just moved into a new build house, do I need to pay for the bins?

Yes. You will need to complete our online form to request a new or replacement bin / caddy:

I have just moved house and there are no bins, do I still need to pay?

Yes. You will need to complete our online form to request a new or replacement bin / caddy:

I am a tenant of Wigan Council, do I need to pay for replacement bins?

Yes. You will need to complete our online form to request a new or replacement bin / caddy:

Is the bin my property, and what if I move house?

All bins remain the property of Wigan Council and must be kept at the property originally delivered to. Bins should not be transferred to alternative properties.

I share my bins with other properties, do I have to pay for new or replacement bins?

If you use communal bins that are shared with other properties, the landlord, managing agent or leaseholder must contact to arrange payment and delivery of a new/replacement bin.

Other Information

What do I do whilst waiting for the delivery of my replacement bin?

You may leave your waste out for collection in bags if your new/replacement/additional bin is on order. Once you receive your bin we will not collect any further bagged side waste.

I don’t want to pay for a bin from you, can I provide my own bin?

Yes, you may. However, this must be of the correct colour for the waste that you need to dispose of, and it must meet the correct specification i.e. EN840. It is worth noting that our price is significantly less than the average retail price.

If you choose to purchase your own bin, we will still only empty one bin per property unless you have been authorised by the Council to have an additional bin.

My bin is damaged, will I still have to pay for a replacement?

Yes, any bin that is damaged by the householder through misuse i.e. fire damage will be charged for. If your bin crew has damaged your bin we will post a card through your door advising you of this. In this instance there is nothing you need to do as the crew will report this and a replacement bin will be delivered as soon as possible.

If you feel our crew has damaged your bin but you have not received a card or sticker on the bin, please report this to us using our online form:

What do you mean by fly tipping and what are the consequences?

Fly tipping is where people illegally deposit waste onto council or private land. Fly tipping is a criminal offence; offenders can be fined up to £50,000 and face a custodial sentence. In the event a resident deposits their household waste on council or private land as a result of not having a serviceable bin, this will be treated as fly tipping.

© Wigan Council