Scotman's Flash is a fantastic outdoor adventure centre just 10 minutes from the centre of Wigan featuring a huge lake and lots of exciting experiences for everyone to enjoy.
Scotman's Flash is the perfect place for water sports, whether you’re brand new to canoeing, sailing and kayaking or want to get your game on with courses and qualifications to match your skills.
Our usual activity offering (pre COVID-19) includes a vast range of water sports, coaching and courses for people of all abilities delivered by our fully qualified and friendly instructors.
Some of our activities include:
- Stand up paddle boarding
- Rafted canoeing
- Sit on top kayaking
- RYA Stage 2 sailing course.
We also do:
Sessions are limited to a maximum number of participants, you cannot add anyone else on the day.
We will be reintroducing more activities and sessions in the coming weeks, so keep checking this page or follow us on Facebook (external link) for the latest updates.
How do I book an activity?
Booking in advance is essential. See below to book an activity and check prices and availability:
Payment is taken at the time of booking. We will send you a confirmation email and a consent form to be completed.
Please email the completed form to us at least 24hrs before your visit, or at the earliest convenience if booked within 24hrs of the activity.
We do not accept paper copies on site and we cannot allow you to participate without a completed consent form.
Parties and group bookings
Looking to do something special for an upcoming birthday? Or maybe you want a fun day on the water as a group? Choose from our exciting activities (or combine them if you can’t pick just one!) to make the perfect day, tailored to you.
Please note, due to government restrictions, we are currently unable to support group parties and bookings. In the meantime, you can:
What you need to bring
On the day, please bring with you:
- A towel
- Swimsuit/swim shorts
- Your own wetsuit (if you have one and want to use it!)
- Spare shoes / trainer that can get wet
- A change of clothes
- Hat and sun cream if hot weather
- Water bottle
We will be providing buoyancy aids as usual for your safety.
Before you set off…
- Arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your allotted session
- Park only in the parking bay allocated to your booking
- Vacate the site within 15 minutes after the end of your session
- If you’re allocated a parking space, please wait in your vehicle until your allocated waiting zone is clear, then stay in the waiting zone until the start of your session.
- Only attend site if you are taking part in the session or to drop a participant off, no spectators are allowed at this stage
- Please follow all instructions, failure to do so may result in being asked to leave and no refund will be given
- We will be maintaining social distancing at all times
- Food must not be consumed on site. A personal water bottle is fine
- You may be asked to carry and move equipment around a little more than normal under the instruction of a Scotman’s Flash team member
- We will still be providing safety cover but will only breach the social distancing if there is a more serious risk. With this is mind, please consider your own ability
- Adapted sessions have age restriction’s, please ensure this is adhered to
- Do not attend a session if you or a member of your household feels ill or has symptoms of COVID-19
- Please advise a member of staff if you or a member of your household feels ill during your session.
Parking and facilities
Please note the following:
- We may not be able to offer a parking space for 1 person bookings. We advise that you walk or cycle to site if possible as parking is limited
- Please wait in the allocated waiting zone until the start of your session
- Maintain social distancing from other group participants who are not part of your household
- Boat house toilets will be available on a 1 in, 1 out basis
- Changing rooms will not be available, please bring towels to change by your vehicle if you need to change.
Outdoor education for schools
We've helped thousands of pupils from schools across the north west to enjoy the thrills of being out on the water in a safe and supervised environment.
Our outdoor adventure courses and challenges bring out the best in everyone, using excitement to drive achievement. We offer
- Nationally recognised qualifications and courses
- Exciting activities and events
- Educational courses linked to the curriculum
- Activity programmes to suit your needs.
Find out more about outdoor education for schools and prices (external link).
The Outdoor Education Team is approved as a provider by the following organisations:
- Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA)
- RYA training centre.