When are you re-opening?
Here’s our roadmap to re-opening with all the key dates...
- Golf at Haigh Woodland Park is back
- Outdoor tennis at Robin Park Leisure Centre returns
- Scotman’s Flash reopens
- Outdoor pitches available for hire
- Individual fitness is back and gyms can open
- Personal Training can restart
- Outdoor fitness sessions will restart
- Pools will open! Learn to swim programme, lane and family swimming, club swimming and Swim Tots can re-start
- Junior gymnastics can start at Robin Park Leisure Centre
- Junior indoor tennis can start at Robin Park Leisure Centre
- One-to-one gym support at all open gyms
- Disability swim sessions (Howe Bridge Leisure Centre, Leigh Leisure Centre and Wigan Life Centre)
- Increase to Wheels for all bookings at Leigh Harriers
- Active outdoors - guided runs, walks, cycle rides will restart
- Outdoor football can restart
- Golf at Pennington re-opens.
- Indoor group exercise and gym floor classes are back! Covid secure measures will still apply and we’re cleaning more frequently to keep you safe, so before attending:
- Book online in advance
- Class sizes are reduced to allow social distancing so please cancel if you can’t attend
- Follow the one-way system in our buildings
- Utilise the additional hand sanitisers on site
- Sauna and steam rooms reopen - to ensure it’s as safe as it can possibly be, we’ve introduced some new measuress so that you can relax safely:
- Maximum 2 people
- Stay seated and maintain distance
- Maximum stay 15 minutes
- Be respectful of others
- Frequent cleaning
- Indoor team sports will return - excluding Robin Park and Leigh Leisure Centre as they are being used as vaccination centres until the end of September
- Casual outdoor team sports can start again, including pitch bookings
- Indoor racquet sports can start at sites not being used as vaccination centres - Racquet sports can be booked online.
To book activities in our sports hall and on our outdoor pitches, you will need to call the local leisure centre you wish to visit.
When will my membership payments re-start?
If your direct debit payment was taken in January 2021, you won’t pay in April. Your direct debit will recommence on your usual payment date in May. If your Direct Debit was frozen in January as a result of lockdown it will recommence on normal collection day (15th or 25th April 2021). See additional information for members of Hindley Leisure Centre.
A 36% discount will be applied for payments in May for Learn to Swim, Health and Fitness and gymnastics customers to compensate for the first 11 days in April when our sites are not open due to the government’s re-opening dates.
Members who had their membership frozen in January due to self-isolation or illness and who wish to return once we reopen on 12th April may be charged a pro-rata payment depending on the date the direct debit is due to be re-instated. A member of our team will be in touch to discuss this.
If you want more information on your membership you can contact one of our membership advisers.
What is Be Well?
Be Well is Wigan Council’s new holistic approach to health and wellbeing. Be Well brings leisure and wellbeing services together under one roof, helping to make an even bigger impact on the health and wellbeing of residents and customers, in the heart of their local community.
From 1st April all leisure and wellbeing services previously managed by Inspiring healthy lifestyles will be managed by Wigan Council under the Be Well brand. Whether you’re looking to ease your way back into fitness or are already a full time fitness fan, there’s something for everyone at Be Well whatever your age or ability.
From local leisure centres to weight management programmes, guided walks to junior fitness, inclusive activities to water sports - we’ve got everything residents in the borough need to get fit and active and lead healthier, happier lives as a result.
Be Well is a mix of free and paid for activities with plenty of choice to suit you and your needs.
Will I need to book in advance?
Yes. To ensure there is only a safe number of people in our centres at any one time, all of our sessions and activities must be booked in advance using our online Leisure Hub booking portal.
Members can book up to 8 days in advance and non-members can book up to 5 days in advance.
If you’re having trouble with your Leisure Hub account, you can contact the leisure hub support team.
Casual swimming can be booked on the booking portal. To book a family swimming session, you will need to call the local leisure centre you wish to swim at. Contact details for each leisure centre can be found on our leisure centre pages.
Do I need to download the new Be Well Wigan app?
Yes. Following the transfer of leisure and wellbeing services to Wigan Council on 1st April you will need to download the Be Well Wigan app to ensure you receive the latest updates.
This app will replace your Inspired Fitness Tracker / My Wellness app.
New to the App? The Be Well Wigan app tracks all your activity, in the leisure centre and outside, as well as giving you access to a library of virtual workouts and fitness programmes, digital challenges and quick access to bookings.
Plus, you can pair it with a range of different apps and wearables and easily follow your bespoke programme, allowing you to keep track of how active you are and reach your goals even faster!
What are the opening hours?
You can find the opening hours for each leisure centre on our leisure centre pages.
Will Covid-19 safety measures be changing from 19 July?
No. We have made the decision to keep safety measures in place. This decision has been made with our members and staff best interests at heart and following national guidance from leisure governing bodies and in line with our Public Health officials in the borough. Over the coming weeks we ask that you continue to;
- Wear masks in the required areas of our leisure centres
- Use the one-way systems in place
- Clean your equipment before and after use
- Book in advance either online, through the BeWell app or over the phone before attending
- Attend ready to train where possible. At this stage no hairdryers are available.
Cases of Covid contracted in our leisure centres, and leisure centres across the country, is very low thanks to the great work of staff and members in following measures set out and in keeping spaces clean. However, cases across Wigan and Greater Manchester are high and some staff and members have not yet had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated.
Are the changing facilities and lockers available?
Yes, our changing facilities are open and available to use. However, we ask that members arrive ready for their activity and leave promptly afterwards where possible.
No hairdryers will be operational and we are encouraging everyone to shower at home.
When will group exercise re-start?
Group exercise will restart on Monday 17th May inline with the government’s re-opening roadmap. Don’t forget to access our Live Stream Classes on the new Be Well Wigan App and book onto one of our outdoor fitness programmes in the meantime.
How do I book casual swim sessions?
Casual lane swimming can be booked on the Leisure Hub booking portal.
To book a family swimming session, you will need to call the local leisure centre you wish to swim at. Contact details for each leisure centre can be found on our leisure centre pages.
When will the Learn to Swim programme restart?
Our Learn to Swim programme will restart on 12th April. You’ll have exactly the same day and time slot you were booked on to before lockdown. We’ll be emailing all customers with more details soon.
Hindley Leisure Centre is open from Monday 17 May but some restrictions still apply
From Monday 17 May 2021 Hindley leisure Centre will be open Monday to Thursday for group exercise and sports hall use.
We continue to review opening times and activities on offer and aim to extend these over the coming months.
What does this mean for members?
If our records show that you chose to keep your membership frozen during our last opening period your membership will remain frozen.
If our records show that you chose to return during our last opening period then your membership will be unfrozen and your direct debit will restart in June.
If you have any questions about your membership or payment please email our membership advisors.
Your membership allows you to use any of the seven leisure centres across the borough. The closest leisure centres to Hindley are Howe Bridge Leisure Centre and Wigan Life Centre. Both have a gym, swimming pool and group exercise classes.
To check class, gym and swim time availability you can do this on leisure hub our online booking system. Alternatively, why not take a look at the Be Well App? The Be Well app can be downloaded for free from the Apple app and Play Stores?
How do I book sports hall, racquet sports and pitches?
Please see our roadmap for re-opening first!
For other sports and outdoor pitches, simply call the leisure centre you wish to visit.
Refunds due to self-isolation or illness
Unfortunately, we are not able to issue refunds for members who are unable to attend their sessions due to short term illnesses or absence due to COVID-19 self-isolation or quarantine requirements.
Are wellbeing services available?
We are operating a reduced service with further wellbeing services restarting in line with the government road map, following a phased approach. Ongoing support is being provided to our most vulnerable residents and critical services.
Whilst services gradually restart, members will continue to have access to virtual sessions including:
- Pain management
- Low level health conditions
- Patients on cardiac and pulmonary pathways
- Strength and balance classes for existing participants to ensure they can remain physically active, safely within their own homes.
Further updates will be posted on this page and on our Facebook. Staff will also contact participants ahead of services returning. If you have any questions, please contact the wellbeing team.
Have more questions?
If you’ve not been able to find what you’re looking for, please contact the Be Well team.