Wigan Borough is two thirds green space and there are a wide range of activities and facilities available within our parks and green spaces to help you get active.
Our local leisure centres (external link) and swimming pools also offer a range of activities to suit all abilities. If you would like to get involved with a local sports club there are plenty to chose from in Wigan.
If you need some help and advice to get more active or lose weight, then we have a range of services that can give you the support you need. Please contact the service directly or speak to your GP if you would like them to refer you.
HealthyRoutes is a free health improvement service, available in various community settings across Wigan Borough. The HealthyRoutes team offers one-to-one support tailored to your specific needs to help you to make small lifestyle changes which will have a positive impact on your health.
We offer advice, support and signposting on a wide range of issues including:
- Being more physically active
- Managing your weight
- Eating a healthy diet - even on a tight budget
- Reducing or stopping drinking alcohol
- Cutting down or giving up smoking
- Support if feeling anxious, stressed or lacking confidence.
For more information and to book an appointment please visit HealthyRoutes.
Lose Weight Feel Great
Free locally based services, either group or one-to-one based, to support people to lose weight and keep it off for good. A wide variety of support is available dependant on your needs and includes both physical activity and healthy eating.
Phone: 01942 496496
Mens Weight Management
Our new Lose Weight Feel Great for men is a free 12-week weight loss kick-starter to help you start to improve your health and give you the knowledge and support to stay fit and healthy.
Inspiring healthy lifestyles
Low cost or free of charge sessions to support people to become physically active to improve their health and quality of life including:
- Active choices - Activities for adults with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health conditions
- Active outdoors - Activities include walking, running and cycling
- Activity referral scheme - Support for people with health conditions who want to get active
- Active later life - Sessions to improve balance and co-ordination and increase mobility, strength and flexibility in later life.
Phone: 01942 488481
Back to sport
Inspiring healthy options provide support to enable adults to become more active by returning to sport or trying a new sport, including tennis, badminton, football, netball, basketball and swimming.
Phone: 01942 488481
There are many national services that give excellent information to help you eat a balanced diet.