Sexual health

It's important to pay attention to your sexual health, whether you are in a long term relationship or not.

Practising safe sex and always using a condom ensures that you reduce the risk of infection for you and your sexual partner(s) and avoid unwanted pregnancies.

What do I do if I need treatment or advice?

You can make an appointment with your doctor (GP) or visit one of the Spectrum sexual health and contraception clinics.

Spectrum (formally Brook, The Shine and Barnardo’s Targeted Sexual Health Service) delivers sexual health services for women, men and young people across Wigan and Leigh. Services include:

  • All methods of contraception including emergency contraception. Young people can get free condoms by registering with the CCard Scheme.
  • Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) screening and tests, including Chlamydia, HIV and treatments for most STIs
  • Pregnancy testing, advice on unplanned pregnancy and other sexual health issues, and pelvic ultrasound
  • Vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B
  • Information and advice on relationships.

To access these services call 01942 483188 or visit Spectrum (external link).

Anyone can walk into the services without an appointment and will always be seen if they need emergency contraception.

Emergency contraception

Emergency contraception (also known as the morning after pill) can be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy but the earlier it is taken the more effective it is. 

It is available free from:

During Bank Holidays or when above services are closed you can get emergency contraception from the A&E Department, Royal Albert Edward Infirmary (01942 822440).

An IUD can be used as emergency contraception if inserted within 5 days of unprotected sex - call Spectrum (01942 483188) or your own GP to find out more.

Local and national services

If you are lesbian, gay or bi-sexual you can get sexual health support and advice from

Child sexual exploitation

If you have concerns a child may be being sexual exploited or at risk of sexual exploitation please report it.

© Wigan Council