Looking to lose weight? We’re here to help!
Whether you’re simply seeking some advice, wanting to find ways to become more active, or if you feel you need a little more support to begin your weight loss journey, Be Well can assist you to achieve your goals.
From group exercise and team sports to specialist one-on-one sessions and important nutritional advice, there are a variety of ways we can help you to lose weight and feel great…
Why lose weight?
Weight loss isn’t just about the way we look.
Research shows that maintaining a healthy weight cuts your risk of heart disease and helps prevent and manage conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. Even if you don't have any of these conditions, it's important to keep to a healthy weight so you don't develop them in future. Being overweight can also lead to aches and pains, problems in sleeping and a loss of energy and confidence.
But it’s also not just about the numbers on the scales - focussing on this alone can sometimes lead to an unhealthy obsession. Rather, it’s about improving the way we feel and having a positive impact on other measurements such as body fat percentage and waist circumference.
Ways to lose weight
At Be Well we don’t believe in fad diets. When it comes to losing those extra pounds, you’ll find that you’ll get the best results through combining a healthy, balanced diet with increased levels of activity in a way that fits with your day-to-day routine.
Even small, simple changes to your diet can make a real difference when it comes to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
Becoming more active
Being physically active is important to maintaining a healthy weight and managing and preventing a whole range of health conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
Our great value range of all-inclusive Be Well memberships unlock access to gyms, swimming pools and group exercise classes across our seven local leisure centres. As well as top class facilities, you’ll benefit from a team of friendly, expert instructors on hand to help you with guidance, support and tailored personal workout plans just for you. Members can also access a range of online classes and on-demand content.
Be Well also has a range of free and low-cost ways to get you moving. Our Active Outdoors team stages regular walks and cycle rides all across the borough and can also get you up and running with our popular Couch to 5k programme.
Meanwhile, our Back to Sport programme combines fitness and fun with a choice of walking football, netball, badminton and a host of other activities for people of all ages and abilities.
There are also a wide range of community organisations and events to discover across the borough including regular weekly parkruns at Haigh Woodland Park and Pennington Flash.
Need a little more help?
If you are aged 18+ and have a Body Mass Index (BMI) score of 25 or above, there are a number of FREE programmes that can support you to achieve a more healthy weight:
- Group nutritional workshops - A 12-week programme of weekly hour-long group sessions delivered by Be Well’s friendly, expert weight management specialists. We won’t give you a diet to stick to or tell you what to eat; instead we’ll help you learn more about food labels, meal prep, ‘food and mood’ and a whole range of other topics so you can make better choices.
- 1-2-1 support - If group settings aren’t for you, our Be Well health advisors can offer 1-2-1 or family support over the phone, face-to-face or by virtual appointment.
- NHS Specialist Weight Management Service (for those with a BMI of 40 or above) - Get friendly, non-judgemental support from a range of specialist health professionals including dietitians, physiotherapists, psychologists and occupational therapists.
- Complete our online self-referral form to enquire about any of these sessions.
- Free trial Leisure Centre membership – If you are already receiving nutritional advice from our weight management service (see above) then you could, if suitable, benefit from a 12-week pass giving you all the benefits of a full peak Be Well membership. Hit the gym, go for a swim or join a group exercise class at any of our seven local leisure centres. Includes personalised support from our friendly, expert instructors who can tailor a workout plan just for you and help you set achievable goals.
- Latin Dance - Work up a sweat with the salsa, challenge yourself with the cha cha and get rhythmic with the rumba with the help of our amazing professional dancer Danielle. Get 12 weeks of free group dance lessons plus expert nutritional advice.
- Touch Rugby (external link) - Wigan Warriors Community Foundation combine weekly games of Touch Rugby with important nutritional advice to get you match fit while having a ball.
- Football for Fitness (Men only sessions) - Achieve your fitness goals with the help of Wigan Athletic Community Trust. Enjoy a friendly kickabout with a mix of skills, drills and small-sided games plus healthy eating advice. For more information please contact Jamie Cook at Wigan Athletic Community Trust on 01942 318 090 / 07889 537140 or via e-mail.
If you are aged 18+ and have a BMI of 25 or above and are interested in any of the above then please give us a call on 01942 488481 or complete our self-referral form.
We can offer you as much or as little assistance as you need; whether it’s nutritional advice, support to get more active, or a combination of both.
If you are a professional and would like to refer someone for support you can call 01942 488481 or complete our online professional referral form.
Let’s Get Movin’ is a free family referral programme that helps families stay fit, active and healthy while having fun together.
Kickstart your fitness journey with 12 weeks of enjoyable and accessible group exercise sessions where you’ll meet like-minded families working towards similar goals.
You’ll also benefit from a free three-month junior membership giving you access to facilities at our Be Well leisure centres across the borough.