Am I eligible for care services?

We will gather information from you, your family or carers and, if necessary, other professionals to help us make a decision about whether or not you are eligible to receive care and support services.

When we carry out an assessment of your care needs, we will also assess any potential risk to your independence and wellbeing.

How do you decide who has eligible needs?

You will have eligible needs if you meet all of the following:

  • You have care and support needs as a result of a physical or mental condition
  • Because of those needs, you cannot achieve two or more of the outcomes specified in the regulations
  • As a result, there is a significant impact on your well-being.

The outcomes include your day-to-day activities such as dressing, maintaining personal relationships, working or accessing community resources.

If you have eligible needs, and want the council’s help to meet them, then an assessor will discuss your support plan with you. In all cases, we will give you advice and information about what support is available in the community to help you.

During the social care assessment we will also conduct a financial assessment to find out if you have to pay anything towards the cost of your ongoing support needs.

What if I'm not eligible?

If you do not qualify for support, the council provide Starting Point Plus, a free service offering information and advice about local services that help to promote independence, e.g. cleaning, shopping, meals, handymen, luncheon clubs, etc.

Reviewing your circumstances

If you are eligible to receive support, we will review your support plan annually. This will involve a reassessment, to help us decide whether or not you are eligible for services in the future.

Government guidelines

We use the government guidelines for the Care Act 2014 to help us decide what you are entitled to. These regulations set a national minimum level for eligibility, and are the same across England -  see the care and support statutory guidance (external link).

© Wigan Council