Someone to speak on my behalf (advocacy)

Having someone to speak on your behalf, helping you to express your views and wishes, is known as advocacy. It enables people with physical or learning disabilities, older people or those with mental health needs to make informed choices and decisions about their own health and social care.

The council don’t offer advocacy services but there are local organisations that can act as independent advocates.

If you have substantial difficulty in taking part in any assessment, review or planning activity about your needs, and you do not have another appropriate person who is able to support you and represent your wishes, the council will arrange for an independent advocate to help represent you. 

Types of advocacy

Formal, professional or crisis advocacy

This is when paid advocates focus on a task over a specific period of time. Organisations that offer this type of advocacy include:


Self-advocacy helps people speak up for themselves. Organisations that offer this type of advocacy include:

© Wigan Council