Help after leaving hospital

If you have been admitted to a ward and you, the staff, or anyone who supports you at home feels that you may have difficulty managing at home without some help, ward staff can ask an assessor from our Better at Home team, based at the hospital, to assess your needs before you are discharged.

However, if you have been discharged from hospital following an illness or operation, and then find you need practical help with getting in and out of bed, washing and dressing please call us on 01942 828777 to arrange for someone to assess your needs.

Getting help

After we have assessed you, we will identify your needs and discuss with you what help and support is available to meet them, depending on your situation.

If it's appropriate, we may arrange services to support you when you return home, this may be reablement (equipment at home and support) or a temporary care package and will depend upon your needs and eligibility.

If you need some minor equipment to help you manage at home, we can arrange for these items to be delivered or fitted in your house to help you maintain your independence and quality of life.

We also work with Age UK to provide support and practical assistance for people who are preparing to move to a care home.

I need help with living at home but I'm not eligible

If you don't qualify for a care package from the council you could arrange to employ a care worker privately through a home care agency.

Check the quality of a care home

To check the quality of a care home you can:

I'm unable to return home

If you're in hospital and will be unable to return home because of your ill health, we can work with you to assess your situation and identify solutions to ensure accommodation is available to you when you leave hospital.

It is very helpful if we can work with you as early as possible to allow time for assessments to be made and accommodation found.

To get in touch, you can either tell a member of staff at the hospital or fill in the following online referral form.

Care Quality Commision (CQC) rating

Wigan’s Reablement Service has been inspected and rated 'Outstanding' by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) as of 27th March 2019.

© Wigan Council