Hearing and vision support (0-19 years)

If your child (0-19 years) is diagnosed with hearing loss and/or visual impairment, the Specialist Sensory Education Team (SSET) can help by providing support at home or in nurseries and schools.

We can help by providing:

  • Hearing and vision support teachers
  • Multi-sensory impairment teacher
  • Touch typing skills teacher
  • Sensory support specialists
  • Sign language communication specialist
  • Visual impairment mobility, independence and habilitation specialist

What we do  

We work with families, nurseries, mainstream and special schools to:

  • Provide advice and training
  • Provide support specific to your child’s needs
  • Carry out assessments of listening, language development and Functional Visual Assessments
  • Advise on and monitor specialist equipment
  • Liaise with health professionals including audiologists and ophthalmologists
  • Liaise with colleagues in the Early Intervention and Prevention Service (including educational psychologists), Wigan Council and voluntary groups
  • Provide specialist advice to the special educational needs and disability (SEND) team.

Getting our help

  • If you have concerns about your child’s hearing or vision contact your family doctor or ask the school to inform the school nurse
  • Medical professionals can make a referral to SSET if there is a hearing loss and/or visual impairment that could affect a child’s access to learning. Parents must always give permission before SSET can provide support.

Useful websites

© Wigan Council