Food premises registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food at any premises, you must be registered with us.

Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, care settings (e.g. nurseries, residential care homes) shops, pubs (including wet pubs) canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Food businesses operating from a private address also need to be registered e.g. home based bakers/caterers.


Once you have completed an application you will receive an acknowledgement from the Food Standards Agency with a unique reference number. Following this, we will send you an email to advise of the next steps and signpost you to advice links.

If your business falls within the scope of the national food hygiene rating scheme, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website will show your business as ‘Awaiting Inspection’ and you will receive a sticker to display in your window.

Notify us of changes to your food business

Please note, if you have not previously registered your business with us or if the business has moved to a new premises or if ownership has changed, you must complete a new food registration form (external link).

If you have previously registered your food business with Wigan Council and there has been a change in circumstances within your business, you must notify us. Changes include:

  • Certain changes to ownership e.g. if there are changes to partnerships, or a sole trader becomes a partnership, or if your business goes into administration and is run by administrators
  • A change in the business trading name
  • A change in head office address
  • A significant change in business scope/activity
  • The business has permanently cease trading
  • The business has temporarily cease trading.

To notify us of a change in circumstances you will need to complete our online form:

© Wigan Council