If you are running a food business, you are legally required to have an approved food safety management system in place which makes sure food is safe for customers to eat.
You should use a system based on food safety practices that you are familiar with, which are in line with general hazard analysis and critical procedures principles HACCP (external link).
The nature and size of your business will affect the amount of controls and documentation you will need to have in place.
Safer food, better business (SFBB)
The Safer food, better business approach helps to put food safety management procedures in place for small businesses. The procedures consist of a variety of documents which must be completed and maintained in order to comply with food hygiene regulations.
Safer food, better business packs have been created to help small and medium sized businesses document their control measures. The practical and easy-to-use packs will help you to:
- Comply with food hygiene regulations
- Show what you do to make food safely
- Train staff
- Protect your business's reputation
- Improve your business
- Improve your food hygiene rating score.
You can download and print different versions of the pack from the FSA website (external link).
Alternatively you can purchase a printed copy from us;
- SFBB Catering pack, £25 - for caterers, such as restaurants, cafes and takeaways etc. Indian and Chinese versions to the catering packs are also available to purchase
- SFBB Retail Pack, £20 - for small retailers who sell food, eg small convenience store, delicatessen, newsagents etc.
When we receive payment, a copy will be posted to your Registered business within 5 working days.
If you are a home caterer or baker who regularly prepares food for members of the public the food safety pack for home bakers can be used to help you document your procedures. The pack should be printed and completed.
The pack provides some useful advice and guidance about running a food business and the production sheet on page 20 should be completed every time you prepare food.