When setting up your food business, it is important to consider the requirements of food hygiene and safety legislation from the beginning:
- Register your premises. You need to register your food business with us at least 28 days before opening. Registration is free
- Food hygiene legislation. All food businesses must meet the terms of the hygiene standards set out in Regulation (EC) 852/2004 (Hygiene of foodstuffs)
- Food Safety Management System. Depending on the size and nature of your business, you will need to look into which food safety records you will need, and make sure these are completed
- Food hygiene inspections. Qualified food officers have a duty to carry out inspections of food businesses.
- Waste and recycling collections. Every commercial business must arrange waste collections with a licensed waste contractor
- Food and drink labelling. You must make sure your food business meets labelling requirements
- Design and construction. Your food premise must meet legal requirements specified in Regulation (EC) 852/2004
- Health and Safety. Your food business must meet health and safety requirements
- Guidance for food businesses: E. Coli O157 Control of cross-contamination.
Further guidance to help you start up your food business can be found on the Food Standards Agency website (external link).