Things to consider when setting up your food business:
- Register your premises - You need to register your food business with us at least 28 days before opening.
- Food Safety Management System - Depending on the size and nature of your business, you will need to determine which food safety records to implement and train your staff on
- Food hygiene inspections - Qualified food officers have a duty to carry out inspections of food businesses. You will receive an ‘awaiting inspection’ sticker to display until you receive your food hygiene rating
- Waste and recycling collections - Every commercial business must arrange waste collections with a licensed waste contractor
- Food and drink labelling - You must make sure your food business meets labelling requirements
- Allergen information - You must make sure your food business meets allergen requirements
- Health and Safety - Your food business must meet health and safety requirements.
Further guidance to help you start up your food business, including guidance on the structure of the premises, can be found on the Food Standards Agency website (external link).