Apply to join the housing register

Housing applications

We are seeing unprecedented demand for housing, including temporary, move on and permanent council accommodation. We have many people currently waiting for a council home on the housing register and so far this year only a small number of properties have become available for letting.

Please stop and think if you really need to apply for council housing. You could explore alternative housing options, which may result in easier and faster access to housing.

Please only apply for a council property if you really need to. This will help us provide housing to those that need it most.

If you do decide to apply for a council home, please be aware that it's currently taking approximately 3-4 weeks to process applications and you will have a long wait before you are offered a property.

If you would like to join the housing register to get a council or Housing Association property in the Wigan Borough:

How to apply

Please ensure contact details on your application are up to date. You are able to request an update of these via your Housing online account by clicking on 'Update contact details.'

If you need to make an amendment to your application, including changing your address, you can use the our change of circumstances form.

What happens next?

We aim to process applications within 25 working days of receipt of your application.

Once your application has been processed, we will send you a letter to your application address telling you the status of your application. We may need to request further evidence from you. You will find your unique reference number on this letter which you will need to reference when contacting us via phone or email.

Additional housing register forms

You must save forms to your computer/device in order to complete them and return to the necessary email address. The below forms are not online forms.

Housing forms 
Change of circumstances For applicants who are already on the housing register but have changed address or would like to amend their application.
Medical application If your current home is unsuitable due to medical reasons you will need to complete a medical application form.
Welfare application If you are working with a professional individual or a support agency, they can apply for additional priority on welfare grounds on your behalf using our welfare application form.
Mutual exchange Part 2 For tenants who have found and agreed an exchange with another tenant.

Completed change of address form, welfare and medical applications should be emailed to our Housing Registration team.

Completed Mutual exchange part 2 forms should be emailed to our Homes and Communities team.

How do I appeal your decision?

The  allocations policy details your right to appeal against any decision made by us and outlines our complaints procedure.

© Wigan Council