When you become a care leaver, your PA will support you with where you live. There are a range of options available, and some of these options will depend on your age.

Some of the housing options are semi-independent accommodation (where support for independent living is available on site), ‘staying put’ (staying with your foster carer after you turn 18), and your own property. If we think it is appropriate for you to have your own property, you will be awarded ‘Group A’ on the housing register to get priority. Your PA will support you with the bidding process.

When your own property is available, we will ensure that it is decorated throughout and this will include carpets and curtains or blinds and we will automatically refer you for Tenancy Support and offer you training on what it means to be a tenant. 

Care leavers are provided with a First Homes Grant to make sure that you have all essential items for your home to be ready to live in. Your PA will support you with the use of this grant.

There can be lots of things to consider when living independently. To support with this, we will:

  • Make sure you don’t have to pay council tax until you are 25 if you are living in Wigan
  • Provide you with internet wifi for the first 12 months of moving into your first home.
  • Supply you with a TV licence for the first 12 months of moving into your first home.
  • Provide a First Homes Grant for essential items
  • We support you with a deposit or rent guarantor required for private rented properties through our Deposit Assistance Scheme, find further information within the Deposit Assistance Scheme leaflet.
  • If you go to university and choose student halls accommodation, we will pay up to £5,000 per year for this.

Support in an emergency

At times, young people may find themselves in a crisis with nowhere to live. We work with our housing team, local charities and hostels to secure temporary accommodation until a permanent home is found.

© Wigan Council