Health and Wellbeing

Your health and well being is really important to us and we want to make sure you have access to everything that you need to feel healthy and well.

Your PA will help to make sure that you are registered with health services such as a GP, dentist and opticians.

As a care leaver, you will be entitled to free prescriptions until your 25th birthday.

When you are 18, if you haven’t already, you will receive your health passport. This is a document that summarises your general health and immunisations during your time as a cared for young person.

Monthly health drop ins are held at The Hub by the specialist nurse team, no appointment is necessary and you can get advice on any aspect of health, including sexual health and contraception support.

We can support you with any drug or substance treatment with priority assessments and and support you to develop your confidence and resilience to help you make good decisions.

Care leavers can also have free entry to the following activities;

  • Gym
  • Swim
  • Classes

You are also eligible to access to Wigan Council employee benefits (via a platform called Wellbeing Hub and Helpline) to provide help with your emotional wellbeing including counselling, therapy and debt advice.

Emotional health and well being drop ins take place at The Hub and your PA can sign post you to support services.

If you are feeling alone, and would like to chat to someone, you are always welcome at The Hub. We love seeing you and we are proud to have somewhere for our young people.

© Wigan Council