There are many free online resources and learning material available to develop your digital skills.
How to connect with friends and family
Citizens Online lists useful resources which help you stay in touch with family, friends or colleagues.
You can also use your mobile phone number or email address to connect to loved ones through the following FREE apps.
List of free apps to connect with friends and family
|App||How to download / sign up||Support|
|Facebook - allows users, who sign-up for free profiles, to connect with people online, including friends, family and work colleagues.
||Sign up to Facebook on your computer (external link)
Download Facebook for Android mobiles (external link)
Download Facebook for Apple mobiles (external link).
|Facebook Help Centre.
|Microsoft Teams - make free video and voice one-to-one and group calls, send instant messages and share files with other people.
||Download Microsoft Teams for your mobile phone, tablet or computer (external link)
||Training on how to use Teams (external link)
|Skype - make free video and voice one-to-one and group calls, send instant messages and share files with other people.
||Download Skype for your mobile phone, tablet or computer (external link).
||Find friends and family on Skype (external link)
How to make a call on Skype (external link).
|Zoom - a video communications app that allows you to set up virtual video and audio meetings, webinars, live chats, screen sharing, and other collaborative capabilities.
||Download Zoom for your mobile phone, tablet or computer (external link)
||Get help from the Zoom support centre (external link)
|WhatsApp - send messages, pictures, videos and even voice recordings, as well as make voice and video calls over the internet.
||Download WhatsApp for your mobile phone, tablet or computer (external link).
|| Beginners guide to using WhatsApp (YouTube) (external link)
|Facetime - video and audio chat app specifically for Apple devices. You can use FaceTime from your iPhone, iPad or Mac computer.
||The Facetime app is already installed on Apple devices. The person you contact will also need to be on an Apple device.
||Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (external link)
Steer clear of misleading or 'fake' news
Encourage people to steer clear of coronavirus myths circulating online, particularly through social media. Up-to-date and accurate information can be found on the:
If you don’t have mobile data, access to NHS services online will be free (external link) while the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is ongoing.
Digital workplace skills
Looking for work or planning to change or develop your career? Here is a list of online courses and resources to help you upskill:
- The Skills Toolkit (external link) – Free, high-quality digital and numeracy courses to build your skills and boost your job prospects
- Learn My Way (external link) - Free courses, tools and templates that you can trust. You can learn about new apps, improve the skills you have and take a positive step forward in your work
- Skills to Succeed Academy - Free, digital, interactive programme to help disadvantaged young people build the skills and confidence to make career choices and develop employability skills
- FutureLearn (external link) - Learn online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses
- Barclays LifeSkills - Helps you prepare you for your future workplace
- Excel Easy (external link) - Free tutorials to help develop your Microsoft Excel skills.
Stay digitally active and healthy
Digital learning for young people
Worried about your child’s online safety?
Get expert advice and guidance on your child’s online safety from the following:
- NSPCC: Online safety (external link) - From setting up parental controls to advice on sexting, online games and video apps, helping you understand the risks so you can keep your child safe
- Thinkuknow (external link) - an education programme split into different age ranges offering advice to protect your children both online and offline.