There are many free online resources and learning material available to develop your digital skills.
- Learn My Way - Learn how to use your computer or device, browse and shop on the web, send an email, socialise, find work online and gain workplace skills. Suitable for absolute beginners
- iDEA - A great online learning platform for all the family to help expand digital awareness on a range of topics, including online safety, workplace tools and using social media
- Connecting to WiFi and the internet at home
- How to create an email account
- Barclays Digital Wings (external link) - Courses to learn about all things digital. Join our Digital Wigan league and start learning today by signing up to Barclays Digital Wings and entering our league code 529230
- Digital Her (external link) in partnership with Greater Manchester’s Technology and Digital sector offer some amazing online resources, workshops and more.
How to connect with friends and family
Citizen’s Online lists useful resources which help you stay in touch with family, friends or colleagues.
You can also use your mobile phone number or email address to connect to loved ones through the following FREE apps.
List of free apps to connect with friends and family
|App||How to download / sign up ||Support|
|Facebook - allows users, who sign-up for free profiles, to connect with people online, including friends, family and work colleagues.
||Sign up to Facebook on your PC
Download Facebook for Android phones
Download Facebook for Apple phones.
|Facebook Help Centre.
|Skype - make free video and voice one-to-one and group calls, send instant messages and share files with other people.
||Download Skype for your mobile phone or PC.
||Find friends and family on Skype
How to make a call on Skype.
|WhatsApp - send messages, pictures, videos and even voice recordings, as well as make voice and video calls over the internet.
||Download WhatsApp for your phone and PC.
|| Beginners guide to using WhatsApp (YouTube)
|Facetime - video and audio chat app specifically for Apple devices. You can use FaceTime from your iPhone, iPad or Mac computer.
||The Facetime app is already installed on Apple devices. The person you contact will also need to be on an Apple device.
||Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
Steer clear of misleading or 'fake' news
Encourage people to steer clear of coronavirus myths circulating online, particularly through social media. Up-to-date and accurate information can be found on the:
If you don’t have mobile data, access to NHS services online will be free (external link) while the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is ongoing.
Digital workplace skills
Looking for work or planning to change or develop your career? Here is a list of online courses and resources to help you upskill:
- The Skills Toolkit (external link) – Free, high-quality digital and numeracy courses to build your skills and boost your job prospects
- Make It Click (external link) - Free courses, tools and templates that you can trust. You can learn about new apps, improve the skills you have and take a positive step forward in your work
- Skills to Succeed Academy - Free, digital, interactive programme to help disadvantaged young people build the skills and confidence to make career choices and develop employability skills
- FutureLearn (external link) - Learn online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses
- Barclays LifeSkills - Helps you prepare you for your future workplace.
Stay digitally active and healthy
Digital learning for young people
Worried about your child’s online safety?
Get expert advice and guidance on your child’s online safety from the following:
- NSPCC: Online safety (external link) - From setting up parental controls to advice on sexting, online games and video apps, helping you understand the risks so you can keep your child safe
- Thinkuknow (external link) - an education programme split into different age ranges offering advice to protect your children both online and offline.