Learn My Way
Learn My Way offers free online courses for beginners, helping you develop digital skills to make the most of the online world. You’ll have access to over 30 free courses designed to help you get to grips with the online basics, this includes:
- Using a mouse and keyboard
- Setting up an email account
- Searching and exploring the internet
- Communicating with friends and family online
- Workplace tools for online meetings, apps for managing projects and tips on remote working.
When registering with Learn My Way, make sure to select the Digital Wigan online centre number (4208).
iDEA is Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award, an accredited national programme to develop your digital and enterprise skills, while enhancing your CV.
iDEA is for everyone. Adults, young people and schools can access the programme for free, and you can learn on your own, in a group, classroom or together as a family - from your phone, tablet or computer.
How does it work?
iDEA is the digital and enterprise version of The Duke of Edinburgh Award. For every new skill mastered, iDEA learners are awarded a digital badge. Each badge carries points and when you earn enough points, you are awarded the Bronze or Silver Award.
Badges cover a wide range of topics that include:
- Worker Badges - Tools and techniques, which are useful in the workplace
- Maker badges - Digital creativity and building and making in the digital world
- Entrepreneur Badges - How to think of new ideas and bring them to life
- Gamer Badges - Gamification techniques to help people learn how to make games
- Citizen Badges - Digital awareness, safety and ethics.
As well as being fun, these badges will help you show off what you have learned and could, when the time comes, help you land the job you want.
We are offering everyone in the borough who takes part in iDEA an exclusive Digital Wigan badge to start you on your iDEA journey. The badge shows that you are a proud digital resident, and counts towards your bronze award.
Can I get my school involved?
Of course! iDEA allows you to upskill your pupils and prepare them for the digital workplaces of the future. It’s a great way to excite and motivate young learners and it links in with the school’s ICT curriculum, enabling pupils to apply new skills while they learn and communicate online, in a fun and safe way.
We know there will be a greater emphasis on digital skills in the future and we want to equip Wigan borough’s younger generation with the right digital skills from an early age so they can unlock new opportunities.
To find out how we can help you introduce iDEA to your school, contact the digital team now.
Get started today
To take part in iDEA:
- Visit idea.org.uk
- Create an account, then select ‘have a badge code’
- Enter WIGANLEIGH and redeem.
You will see your Digital Wigan badge and points appear in your badge store.
For digital help and support you can check out our get online page.
Are you a member of staff at Wigan Council?
If you're a member of staff at Wigan Council you will need to:
- Visit iDEA and create an account using the WIGANLEIGH badge code
- Select your name, positioned on the top right-hand corner of the page
- Select 'Edit Profile' and enter WCSTAFF or WCAPPRENTICE within the Organiser Code field and click update.