Universal Credit

Roll out of Universal Credit →

From 18th April 2018 most people making a claim for working age benefits and help with housing costs in Wigan Borough will be placed in Universal Credit Full Service.

Universal Credit is a payment introduced by central government to help with your living costs if you are on a low income or out of work.

It is paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) not the council and replaces existing benefits and credits into a single monthly payment.

Most people will claim Universal Credit instead of existing benefits. 

You will be transferred to Universal Credit in Wigan Borough if you have a change of circumstances that affects your current benefits.

Please note: Council Tax Reduction and Free School Meals are not being replaced by Universal Credit so you will need to apply for those separately. 

Before applying

Check if you need to do anything before applying for Universal Credit by completing the DWP preparation planner (takes 5 mins) it will tell you what things you need (for example a bank account (external link) and email address):

How to apply

You will need to go to Universal Credit (external link) on the government website for more information, to find out if you are eligible, or to apply.

If you need help

Help and support
Job Centre (external link) Receive job seeker support and claim guidance.

71 King St, Wigan WN1 1EA

0843 487 1844

Roydale House, 2, 10 Windermere Rd, Leigh WN7 1UT

0345 608 8545

Wigan Council welfare rights  Free and confidential advice on a range of welfare benefits. You can get help completing claims forms and receive appeals guidance. Welfare rights help
Citizen’s Advice Bureau (external link) Provides free, confidential and independent advice to help people overcome issues with money, work, housing and consumer rights. Also see their specific information on Universal Credit (external link) 

Wigan Life Centre, The Wiend, Wigan WN1 1NH

0300 330 1153

Unify (external link) Credit union run by members offering low-cost loans and financial support 

21 Crompton Street, Wigan WN1 1BN

01942 24565690

Bradshawgate, Leigh WN7 4NP

01942 603565

Be Online sessions Wigan Council drop in sessions for residents who need extra help getting online.

Wigan Library 

Every Tuesday and Thursday 10am - 12noon

Leigh Library 

Every Tuesday and Thursday 10am - 12noon

The Brick (external link) Offers services to people who are homeless, in poverty or facing debt crisis. The Brick, 10 Arcade Street, Wigan WN1 1LU
01942 236953
Compassion in Action (external link) Offers a holistic approach to help people live independently and meets the needs of people in crisis by providing food, furniture, clothes, skills training and accommodation. 

9 & 17 Oaklands Road
Nr. Warrington

01942 262636

National Debt Helpline (external link) An independent charity, providing free debt advice by phone and online to people across the UK. 0808 808 4000
Money advice service (external link) Free and impartial money advice set up by government, including setting up a fee-free bank account. 0800 138 7777
Age UK (external link) Help for older people including advice on benefits and finances. 01942 241972
United Utilities (external link)  If you are worried about paying your water bill while waiting for Universal Credit payments. They can also check your tariff to see if you can reduce your bill. 0800 072 6765

Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council