Do I need planning permission?

You should use this page if:

  • You are unsure whether you need planning permission for works you are carrying out
  • Building works have already been carried out and you would like to find out whether planning permission or building regulation consent should have been in place.

In these cases, please use the Planning Portal's interactive house (external link), a useful tool providing guidance and further details on common household projects.

If you're still not certain that the existing use or the construction of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your completed project does / did not require planning permission, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC).

Before you apply

Take advantage of our pre-application advice service so you can get 'in-principle' feedback before you submit a planning application. This helps you to avoid delays and submit a successful proposal.

When you're ready to begin your planning application, go to the Planning Portal (external link).

Changes to small houses in multiple occupation

Some developments do not require planning permission - this is known as ‘permitted development.’ However, we can remove these rights if we believe it would harm local amenity or the proper planning of the area. This is known as an article 4 direction.

In July 2019, the council made an article 4 direction to remove permitted development rights for changes of use from individual dwelling houses to small houses in multiple occupation (HMO) in Swinley and central Leigh. We will be consulting on the article 4 direction between Thursday 25th July and Thursday 5th September 2019.

© Wigan Council