By discussing your project with us before you apply for planning permission, we can help you put together a successful application that meets all requirements and avoids delays.
Our new pre-application advice service is available to householders, developers, businesses and agents. We will always provide our advice in writing, and will arrange a one-to-one meeting with you if required.
What are the benefits?
Pre-application advice will help you to:
- Access vital advice at an early stage to help ensure your project is acceptable
- Make amendments to your application
- Identify missing information
- Get your submitted plans validated more quickly
- Understand how we apply our planning policies and requirements
- Get advice on any pre-application consultations required
- Identify and deal with issues before you submit your application, which can result in fewer amendments and a quicker decision when you submit
- Reduce the likelihood of an invalid application.
You will also get a named planning case officer who will be familiar with your project and will deal with your planning application when it’s submitted
What happens if I don’t use the service?
Pre-application advice is optional, so you don’t have to use it.
However, if you don’t use it or if advice given at pre-application stage is not reflected in your application, we will not normally negotiate further changes to the project and will make our decision based on what is submitted.
If your planning application is not approved, this may delay your project and incur extra costs.
How much will I pay?
Fees will depend on how big and complex your project is.
For any requirements not covered by our standard charges you can contact the planning team.
How do I request pre-application advice?
Before requesting pre-application advice you will need to confirm the correct fee for your type of development - see our fees page.
To request pre-application advice:
You should only use this service when you have a specific project to submit. For more general information see our planning section.
Once you have completed the online form and payment is made, a planning officer will contact you shortly.
While every effort is made to ensure that the advice provided through this service is comprehensive, all pre-application advice is given on an informal basis, assessed in accordance with relevant planning policies and current legislation, and will not prejudice the outcome of a formal planning application.