Apply for planning permission

If you have looked at do I need planning permission (external link) but are still confused you can apply for a lawful development certificate.

When you are ready to submit a planning application you can do this online through the Planning Portal (external link).

Before you apply

Take advantage of our pre-application advice service so you can get 'in-principle' feedback before you submit a planning application. This helps you to avoid delays and submit a successful proposal.

Using the Planning Portal

Here's what you will need to do:

Please note that where an application is invalid and remains invalid for a period of 14 days or greater, the application will be returned and the council will retain a portion of the application fee to cover the administrative costs incurred.

This will depend on the scale of development proposed, as stated below.

Administrative fee for 2023/24:

  • Advertisements - £50
  • Householder - £50
  • Minor - £75
  • Small major - £100
  • Large major - £250

Getting help with the Planning Portal

Unfortunately the council can't help you use the Planning Portal system. If you have difficulties when using the portal:

© Wigan Council