The aim of this bulletin is to give the public advance notice of roadworks in the Wigan Council area. The council recognises that roadworks can cause inconvenience and it is hoped that this information helps to minimise delays and other problems associated with the works.
This bulletin is updated weekly and every effort has been made to provide accurate and up-to-date information, but it is not intended to be a definitive list and cannot cater for works carried out at short notice. The council also reserves the right to make changes to the programme if emergencies arise.
For any emergency work that has a major impact on the road network, we aim to notify members of the public via Wigan Council's social media pages as soon as possible.
- Aspull and Haigh Walking Day - A temporary closure will be in place on Sunday 29th May from 2pm - 3pm in Copperas Lane (from David’s Church), Haigh Road, St David’s Crescent, Holly Road, Wigan Road, Woods Road to Aspull Methodist Church
- Golborne Carnival - A temporary closure will be in place on Sunday 22nd May from 11:45am to 12:30pm at Railway Rd, High Street, Bridge St and Legh St, Golborne.
- Hindley Churches Walking Day - Temporary closures will be place on Sunday 12th June between 14:00 and 15:30pm on Atherton Road, Lord Street, Park Road, George Street, Chapel Green Road, Argyle Street, Francis Street, and Platt Lane.
- Atherton Carnival - A temporary closure will be in place on Sunday 12th June from 12:00 to 13:00 in Formby Avenue, Gloucester Street, Car Bank Street, Flapper Fold Lane, York Street, Bolton Road, Church Street, Market Street and Flapper Fold Lane.
- Joining Jack Bike Ride - The annual Joining Jack bike ride takes place on Sunday 19th June starting at Mesnes Park at 09:30am, the 5 mile family route through Wigan will be: Mesnes Park Terrace - Parsons Walk - Park Road - Woodhouse Lane - Woodhouse Drive - Scot Lane - Stadium Way and back to conclude at Mesnes Park. Rolling road closures will be in place for the event.
Due to resurfacing, the following roads will be closed at the locations/dates specified, with a diversion in place whilst works are undertaken.
- Wigan Road, Whelley will be closed from Plantation Gates to opposite Vigo Street on 3 consecutive Sundays on 15th, 22nd and 29th May
- Pottery Road, Wigan will be closed from O/S the Nissan Garage to Melverley Street overnight only on 14th June 2022.
- Astley Street/Princes Avenue Tyldesley will be closed from O/S 128 to Windsor Avenue on consecutive Sundays only, commencing 12th June to 10th July 2022.
Take a look at the useful resources below to help you forward plan your journeys in and out of Wigan borough.
View a map of all roadworks in the Wigan and surrounding area (including live updates)
Telephone numbers for roadworks queries
- BT - 0800 023 2023
- Cadent Gas (formerly National Grid Gas) (Escapes) - 0345 835 1111
- Electricity North West - 0800 048 1820
- Greater Manchester Police - 0161 872 5050
- Highways England (external link) - motorway network - 0300 123 5000
- United Utilities Water (including drainage) - 0345 672 3723
- Virgin Media - 0845 454 1111
- Wigan Council (emergencies - out of hours) - 01942 404040.