The aim of this bulletin is to give the public advance notice of roadworks in the Wigan Council area. The council recognises that roadworks can cause inconvenience and it is hoped that this information helps to minimise delays and other problems associated with the works.
This bulletin is updated weekly and every effort has been made to provide accurate and up-to-date information, but it is not intended to be a definitive list and cannot cater for works carried out at short notice. The council also reserves the right to make changes to the programme if emergencies arise.
For any emergency work that has a major impact on the road network, we aim to notify members of the public via Wigan Council's social media pages as soon as possible.
- Leigh Road, Leigh - There are currently temporary traffic signals on Leigh Road, Leigh and a road closure of Irvine Street, Leigh due to a dangerous structure. Further details to follow
- Mosley Common Road and Garrett Hall Road, Worsley - There are currently emergency works being undertaken by Cadent Gas with temporary traffic signals in place, there is also a road closure in place on Garrett Hall Road. Works are expected to be completed by 30th November 2023
- Newton Road, Lowton - There are currently emergency works being undertaken by Cadent Gas with temporary traffic signals in place. Works are expected to be completed by 1st December 2023
- Hough Lane, Tyldesley - There are currently emergency works being undertaken by Electricity North Wes with temporary traffic signals in place. Works are expected to be completed by 05th December 2023
Ongoing Major Scheme - Tyldesley and Leigh
- Cadent Gas are currently undertaking a gas mains replacement scheme in the Tyldesley and Leigh area. The scheme involves removing the old steel gas mains and replacing them with new PE Plastic mains. Works are taking place on Church Road and Henfold Road, Tyldesley and Green Lane and Wash Lane, Leigh with various traffic management. Works are taking longer than anticipated due to High Pressure Gas Mains.
- Smith Street, Atherton will be closed between its junction with Mealhouse Lane and its junction with Market Street, Atherton on 10th January 2024 between the hours of 09:30 and 15:30
- Poolstock Lane, Wigan will be closed Under Poolstock bridge next to zebra crossing on 10th January 2024 between the hours of 19:00 and 22:00
- Victoria Street, Wigan will be closed between its junction with Billinge Road, and Outside House Number 92 on 14th January 2024 between the hours of 09:00 and 15:00
- Billinge Road, Wigan will be closed from outside St Matthews Primary School to outside House Number 116 on 15th January for a period of 2 Days between the hours of 19:00 and 22:00
- Bradley Lane, Standish will be closed between its junction with Hutton Street, and its car park entrance of Deralam Laminates on 17th February 2024 for a period of 9 Days between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00. Works are for the installation of traffic signals.
- Sale Lane, Tydesley will be closed on Sunday 3rd December 2023 from 08:00 to 18:00 from Mort Lane to outside house number 193
- Cross Street, Standish will be closed on 4th December 2023 to 5th December 2023 between the hours of 07:30 and 18:00
- Poolstock Lane, Wigan will be closed from outside House Number 280 to outside House Number 284 and from outside House Number 329 to outside House Number 427 on 4th January 2023 and 5 January 2023 between the hours of 07:30 and 16:00
- Rectory Lane, Standish will be closed between its junction with Bradley Lane to outside House Number 19 on consecutive Sundays only on 7th January and 14th January 2024 between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00
- Wigan Road, Hindley will be closed from outside House Number 206 to its junction with Waverley Road on consecutive Sundays Only 7th January 2024, 14th January 2024, 21st January 2024 and 28th January 2024 between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00
- Manchester Road, Tyldesley will be closed from The Archer Pub to outside house number 229 on consecutive Sundays 21st January, 28th January, 4th February 2023 and 11th February 2024 between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00
- Warrington Lane, Wigan will be closed from outside House Number 4 to its junction with Hall Street on consecutive Sundays only 4th February 2024 and 11th February 2024 between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00
- St Helens Road, Leigh will be closed between its junction with Buck Street, and its junction with Diamond Street on 11th February 2024 between the hours of 08:00 and 18:00.
- Boys Brigade Parade – Atherton Road, Hindley Green from St Johns Church and Organ Street, Organ Street and Thomas Street will be closed from 11:10 and 11:25 on the following dates: November 12th 2023, December 10th 2023, February 10th 2024, March 9th 2024, May 11th 2024, June 9th 2024
- On Sunday 26th November 2023, Wigan Town Centre Christmas Light Switch on and Santa Parade will take place, a number of roads will be closed between the hours of 9:30am and 10pm
- A number of roads in Golborne will be closed from 14:00 to 14:30 on 17th March 2024 in support of the procession for the Golborne Mining Disaster.
Take a look at the useful resources below to help you forward plan your journeys in and out of Wigan borough.
View a map of all roadworks in the Wigan and surrounding area (including live updates)
Telephone numbers for roadworks queries
- BT - 0800 023 2023
- Cadent Gas (formerly National Grid Gas) (Escapes) - 0800 389 8000
- Electricity North West - 105
- Greater Manchester Police - 0161 872 5050
- Highways England (external link) - Motorway Network - 0300 123 5000
- Network Rail 24-Hour National Helpline - 03457 11 41 41
- United Utilities Water (including drainage) - 0345 672 3723
- Virgin Media - 0845 454 1111
- Wigan Council (emergencies - out of hours) - 01942 404040.