The aim of this bulletin is to give the public advance notice of roadworks in the Wigan Council area. The council recognises that roadworks can cause inconvenience and it is hoped that this information helps to minimise delays and other problems associated with the works.
This bulletin is updated weekly and every effort has been made to provide accurate and up-to-date information, but it is not intended to be a definitive list and cannot cater for works carried out at short notice. The council also reserves the right to make changes to the programme if emergencies arise.
For any emergency work that has a major impact on the road network, we aim to notify members of the public via Wigan Council's social media pages as soon as possible.
Please see useful links below that allow residents to forward plan their journeys in and out of the Wigan borough.
- Wigan Road, Atherton - In Progress
Balfour Beatty will be carrying out Gas mains replacement works and a closure will be in place from Gibfield Park Way to Scholfield Lane affecting traffic travelling westbound only. The closure will be in place until 4th September.
- Warrington Road, Newtown - 13th August
PN Daly will be carring out connection works to the Gleeson Homes properties from 8pm until 6am on 13th, 14th and 15th August. This will result in a road closure for traffic travelling southbound at the junction with Victoria Street. A signed diversion will be in place.
Upcoming Carriageway re-surfacing schemes
- Wigan Road, Aspull - 3 consecutive Sundays: 5th, 12th and 19th August (7am to 5pm) - closed from Hawkshaw close to High Street junction
- Warrington Road, Platt Bridge - Tuesday 14th August (8pm to 12 midnight) using stop/go boards - at the Templeton Road junction
- St Helens Road, Leigh - Thursday 16th August (9.30am - 3.30pm) - two way lights in use, from house number 328 - 276
- Winstanley Road, Billinge - Friday 17th August (7am to 5pm)- closed from the junction with Park Road to opposite Swift Gate Farm
- Fleet Street, Pemberton - Sunday 19th August (7am to 5pm) - from its junction with Ormskirk Road to its junction with Lamberhead Road
- Heath Road, Ashton in Makerfield - Thursday 23rd August and Friday 24th August (7am to 5pm) - closed from house number 163 to the junction with York Road
- Chaddock Lane, Astley - Sunday 2nd September (7am to 5pm) - from its junction with A580 East Lancashire Road to its junction with Astley Park Way
- Ormskirk Road, Pemberton - Sunday 2nd September (7am to 5pm) - from its junction with Smethurst Lane to its junction with Brindley Street
- Manchester Road, Leigh - Sunday 9th September (7am to 5pm) - from its junction with Ennerdale Road to junction of Kenwood Avenue
View the list of all roadworks in the Wigan and surrounding area.
View a map of all roadworks in the Wigan and surrounding area (including live updates)
Telephone numbers for roadworks queries
||0800 800 150
|Cadent Gas (formerly National Grid Gas) (Escapes)
||0345 835 1111
|Electricity North West
||0800 048 1820
|Greater Manchester Police
||0161 872 5050
|Highways England (external link) - motorway network
||0300 123 5000
|United Utilities Water (including drainage)
||0345 672 3723
||0845 454 1111
|Wigan Council (emergencies - out of hours)