All minor repairs identified from our safety inspections are prioritised for action depending on their severity, location and the hierarchy of the road or footway.
They might include:
- Raised flagstones
- Highway drains/gullies
- Road markings
- Highway grass verges and weeds
- Fences, guardrails, crash barriers
- Overgrown vegetation
- Damaged, missing or uneven manhole covers.
When you inform us of damage to a footway, we will, wherever possible, make contact with you within 1 working day and conclude the enquiry within a maximum of 10 working days.
Street works, roadworks, skips, scaffolds, hoardings, advertising boards and building materials that block the pavement can be considered to be causing an obstruction to pedestrians.
Carriage and Footway planned maintenance
Carriageways Surface Dressing Sites – January 2018 Update
Carriageway Surface Dressing (CSD) is a preventative maintenance treatment that was applied to a number of carriageways (listed below) in September 2016.
This process has been used throughout the borough (and the UK) for many years with great success. The CSD provides a waterproof coating to the carriageway that prevents the ingress of water and at the same time it provides an improved carriageway.
During September 2016 a total of 12 sites across the borough were treated with a CSD preventative maintenance treatment. In November 2016 it was noticed that a number of these sites had started to lose the stone chippings and were starting to show early signs of failure.
Failures were monitored during the 2016/17 winter period and it was agreed with our contractor that some of the affected areas would be treated again with CSD. However, on some high stress sections a secondary preventative maintenance process known as Micro-asphalt would be used. Our contractor will carry these works out at no cost to the council.
In August 2017 the CSD remedials were completed by our contractor and the Micro-asphalt sections commenced in October 2017. Unfortunately, due to reduced temperatures we were unable to complete all the Micro-asphalt remedial works at that time. Therefore they have been scheduled to be completed in spring 2018 once ambient temperatures increase.
During November/December 2017 the councils engineers noted that the remedial works were showing signs of premature failing for a second time. Our contractor was made aware of these additional failures and is continuing to assist the council by carrying out regular road sweeping to reduce the amount of chippings on the highway. In addition loose chippings/skid risk signs have been erected on all the affected sites, advising highway users to reduce their speed accordingly.
In addition, a programme of works to repair the condition of the carriageways on these sites is planned to commence as soon as possible in the Spring of 2018. In the meantime the council would like to apologise to residents and highway users for the inconvenience and length of time these works have taken resolve. We will also be reviewing our future methods of working and material specifications around this service, to ensure a similar occurrence does not happen in the future.
Prior to the commencement of any works on site the contractor will put out information signs and will letter drop affected residents and businesses. In addition, the council will update this webpage as/when significant updates are available.
Preventative Maintenance Sites
- A49 Central Park Way, Wigan - (Penson Street - Douglas Bridge)
- A49 Preston Road, Standish – (o/s 327 – Chorley Boundary) *with the exception of a section near temporary access to tip site.
- A49 Wigan Road, Bryn - (Soughers Lane - Downall Green Road)
- A572 Newton Road, Lowton - (Heath Ln - O/S No.395 Penny Barn)
- A573 Warrington Road, Abram - (Willow st - Kirkham St)
- A573 Warrington Road, Abram - (Abram Village Club - Park Ln)
- A577 Manchester Road, Ince - (Moat House Street - Makerfield Way)
- A577 Manchester Road, Ince - (Makerfield Way - O/S No.206)
- A58 Lily Lane, Platt Bridge - (Canal Bridge - Wigan Street)
- B5239 Bolton Road, Aspull - (Simms Sq - Hall Ln)
- Hall Lane, Aspull - (Mayfair Dr - Pennington Green Ln) - Carriageway resurfacing planned for February 2018.
- Nel Pan Lane, Leigh - (O/S No. 285 - Barrie St)