Marriage or civil ceremonies - premises approval

To hold a civil ceremony or wedding at a premises in Wigan, the premises must be approved.

Eligibility Criteria

Application Process

An application fee must be paid when you make your application. We will confirm in writing that we have received these.

You must include a plan of the premises with your application. This should include the rooms and locations to be used for ceremonies, and each room / location should be clearly identified.

We will consult with the following before determining an application:

  • Wigan & Leigh Registry Office
  • The Council's Planning Section
  • The Council's Building Control Section
  • The Council's Business Compliance & Improvement Section
  • GM Fire & Rescue

An officer from the Building Control Section may inspect the premises.

Advertising Your Application

The law states that a public notice of an applications needs to be advertised. The legislation states that the notice can be published in a newspaper which is in general circulation (at intervals of not more than one week in the area in which the premises are situated); or on the authority’s website.

We will place details of all applications on our website.

Pending Applications

View a list of pending applications.

When Will I Hear From You?

We will contact you within five days of receiving your application and would normally expect to give you our decision within 28 days.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period


Please contact us in the first instance.

You have the right to seek a review of our imposition of conditions, refusal to renew or revocation of approval. You must deliver your request to the proper officer accompanied by any requested fee

You must notify us of any change of circumstances, this includes:

  • Surrendering the approval as it is no longer required
  • Transferring an existing approval
  • Reporting a change of name, address or contact details of the approval holder
  • Reporting a change of name, address or contact details for the responsible person or deputy responsible person(s)
  • Any other material change to the approval or how you operate.

Public Register

Please contact us to view the public register.

© Wigan Council