Caravan sites

Under the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960, you may need to have a site licence to use a piece of land as a caravan site.

Public register

Please contact us to view the public register for licensed caravan sites.


‘Caravan site’ means land where a caravan is stationed for people to inhabit and any land used with it.

Eligibility criteria

You must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. We will not issue a licence if:

  • The land does not have the appropriate planning permission
  • You have had a site licence revoked within the last three years.


A number of exemptions exist as follows:

  • A caravan sits on land surrounding a house and its use is incidental to that house
  • A single caravan sited no longer than two consecutive nights (on land which caravans had not been sited for more than 28 days in the preceding 12 months)
  • Up to three caravans on a site no bigger than five acres (maximum of 28 days in 12 months)
  • Sites occupied by organisations who are exempt like the Caravan Club
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
  • Sites occupied by the local authority
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as agricultural and forestry  workers, building and engineering sites
  • Sites for travelling showmen (between beginning of October and end of March)

Application process

To apply for a licence you will need the following documents:

  • Site plan
  • Planning permission

Your site plan should be to a scale no less than 1:500 and show:

  • Site boundaries
  • Positions of caravan standings

Where appropriate, it should also show:

  • Roads and footpaths
  • Recreation spaces
  • Toilet blocks, store and other buildings
  • Fire points
  • Foul and surface water damage
  • Parking spaces
  • Water supply

Before determining an application, we will consult with colleagues in the planning section as well as Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue.

We may also inspect the premises before issuing a licence.

There is no fee for this licence.

How long will it take?

We will contact you within five days of receiving your application and will normally give you a decision within eight weeks.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the eight week period.  However you are advised to contact us to confirm your licence has been granted.

Licence conditions

Additional conditions may be attached controlling any of the following:

  • When caravans can be on site
  • The number of caravans that can be onsite at any one time
  • The types of caravan
  • Positioning of caravans
  • Use of other vehicles and structures such as tents
  • Planting or replanting bushes and trees
  • Fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • Maintenance of sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment

Change of Circumstances

You must notify us of any change of circumstances. This includes the transfer of a licence, the surrendering of a licence or reporting any other material change to the licence or how you operate.

There are no fees associated with any change of circumstances application.

Failed application / licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

If a consumer has a complaint and it can not be resolved directly with the business, they can contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external link).

© Wigan Council