What is supported living?

Supported living provides support to help people live as independently as possible.

Who is supported living for?

  • Adults with learning/physical disabilities or sensory problems
  • Adults who have mental health problems
  • Older people
  • Adults who have spent time in hospital rehab due to a brain injury
  • Adults and young people with a disability who have spent time in residential care and are moving towards independent living or preparing for adulthood.

What services are available?

Some people receive help for just a few hours a week, while others have 24-hour support - it all depends on your support plan, which can help with:

  • Choosing where you want to live and ensuring a safe environment
  • Managing your tenancy or the responsibilities of being a homeowner
  • Managing your money, bills and benefits
  • Personal care and help with tasks such as shopping and cooking
  • Accessing education opportunities and finding voluntary or paid employment
  • Taking part in social and leisure activities and community life
  • Making and maintaining friendships and relationships
  • Technology and/or equipment to make independent living easier.

How can I get help?

If you have a social worker, they will support you in finding suitable accommodation.

For those who don’t have a social worker you can contact adult social care.

For further information about supported living, you can:

Please be aware that finding suitable accommodation can take time. Make sure you consider carefully what the right options are for you.

Other housing options

© Wigan Council