Managing your own money

Moving into supported accommodation can mean managing your own bills and budgets for the first time.

For help and advice on how to manage your money, visit the Money Advice Service:

Benefit claims

If you’re on a low income, you can access Housing Benefit to help you pay rent and service charges. It can be accessed in a number of ways:

Housing services will usually decide the payment amount before you move in, but you won’t be able to claim Housing Benefit until you’ve signed your tenancy agreement. If there are any delays to your payment please contact the housing provider. 

Supported accommodation might allow you to access welfare benefits not available before, including:

  • Council Tax benefits
  • Free dentists, opticians or prescriptions
  • Disabled Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefits.

For more information on benefits and independent advice visit:

Getting support

An appointee can legally act on behalf of a person to manage their payments from the Department of Work and Pensions. They can either be:

  • An individual like a friend or relative, or
  • An organisation like your local authority or support provider.

Find out how to become an appointee for someone claiming benefits (external link).

© Wigan Council