Amending / ending your tenancy

Amending your tenancy

To amend your tenancy for any of the following reasons you will need to:

Creating a joint tenancy

You can choose to become a joint tenant where two or more adults sign the tenancy agreement and are collectively and individually responsible for the tenancy including paying the rent. This means that if one of you stops paying the rent the other person can be asked to pay it all, so there must be trust and co-operation between the tenants.

Changing your name

If you marry, divorce or decide to change your name by deed poll you may decide that you want to change the name on your tenancy.

You will need to provide proof of your new name - this could include a copy of your marriage certificate, decree absolute or deed poll confirmation.

If there is a court order in place against you we may be unable to change the name on your tenancy.

What if someone dies?

When a council tenant dies it may be possible for a husband/wife/civil partner, or other family member to take over the tenancy. This is known as succession.

Passing your tenancy on to someone else

If you want to pass your tenancy to somebody else this is called Assignment. You have the right to assign your tenancy if you are a secure or introductory tenant, although you are not normally allowed to do this if you intend to remain living in the property.

Ending your tenancy

If you're thinking of leaving us, you may find that we can help if you're having problems.

Did you know...

  • If your property is no longer suitable for your needs then you could try swapping your home with another tenant - this is called mutual exchange
  • If you are over 60 we have homes that may be more suitable for you
  • If you need help because of a medical issue we can provide advice around your medical needs and equipment to help you
  • If you are experiencing financial difficulties or need assistance to stay in your home we may be able to help
  • If you are experiencing issues relating to anti-social behaviour or problems with your neighbours then talk to us first.

Still want to end your tenancy?

© Wigan Council