Sheltered accommodation

Sheltered accommodation schemes offer older people, and occasionally younger applicants, independence with added security and support if needed. They are not nursing or residential care homes.

Whilst support and social activities are on offer, you would have your own apartment or bungalow with your own front door and you can be involved in the scheme as little or as much as you like.

Applying for a home

To apply for sheltered accommodation you need to join the housing register:

Once you are on the housing register, we can either find you a home in one of the schemes we run or we can nominate you to have a home run by other housing associations in the borough.

If you are already on the housing register and you are looking for a council-owned property then you can start your search for suitable properties (external link).

What homes are available?

Properties available are either run by:

  • Wigan Council or;
  • Various housing associations.

There are development schemes of bungalows, apartments and studio flats located throughout the borough. You may wish to visit them to see if they’re right for you.

Before you’re offered a tenancy, you will be contacted to make sure the housing you have chosen meets your needs.

Types of properties

Apartments and studio flats are in buildings with communal areas where each resident has their own front door, but these open out into a communal corridor.

We also have developments of separate bungalows or flats and they may have a lounge, laundry or other communal facilities that are separate i.e. the person would have to go outside to access them.

What services/facilities do you get?

Services and facilities vary depending on the chosen scheme and will need to be checked with the specific provider, but may include:

  • A 24 hour emergency call system
  • Social activities such as community coffee mornings, bingo, lunches and special events
  • Many schemes have communal laundries and lounges, as well as guest bedrooms
  • Technology in the property to connect you to staff who can get you the appropriate help you need or send someone to your property to check that you’re okay
  • Staff availability Monday to Friday, with their working hours clearly displayed.

Further advice

If you require further advice or help you can visit Wigan Council Housing Advice based in the Wigan or Leigh Life Centre.

If you need to contact us to discuss what sheltered accommodation has to offer please call 01942 486549.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council