Coronavirus - Council Tax and Business rates FAQs

Council Tax and Business rates pays for essential services that are delivered to all customers in the borough, so if your circumstances have not changed, it’s very important that you continue to make your payments as normal.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I'm on a zero hours contract and have been laid off or have reduced hours, what do I do?

I'm self-employed and I am not earning enough to pay my bills

The government has temporarily removed the Minimum Income Floor and will calculate your Universal Credit based on your actual earnings.

I'm off sick with coronavirus - what are the rules?

As part of the government’s strategy to support people affected by the coronavirus, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is making a number of changes to its benefits process so they can ensure people who need financial help have access to it.

I can’t pay my Council Tax this month?

I can’t get out to pay my Council Tax

There are a number of ways you can pay your bill without having to leave your home. The easiest way is to set up a Direct Debit. You can also ring our automated 24 hour payment line on 01942 489006.

I can’t pay my business rates this month?

For those in the retail, leisure, hospitality sector (external link) and for those in private childcare nurseries (external link), Wigan Council will apply 100% rate relief to qualifying premises regardless of their rateable value.

Wigan Council will apply the rate relief to qualifying premises regardless of their rateable value for the qualifying 3 month period and advise on the reduced balance if applicable of 66% for the remainder of the financial year. For previous qualifying properties for the 2020-21 discount, see below:

If your business is not in one of the qualifying sectors for relief but you're struggling to pay, please don’t ignore the problem and get in touch with us for support:

© Wigan Council