Council Tax Energy Grant

The application process is now open and payments are being processed, find out further information about payments and apply online.

The government has announced a package of support to help households with rising energy bills (external link), worth £9.1 billion in 2022-23.

This will include a £150 Council Tax Rebate scheme to support energy bills. The government have issued guidance on how the scheme will run and how eligibility will be determined.

How will it work?

The government have advised the following:

  • Households in England in Council Tax Bands A-D will be eligible for a £150 rebate in their council tax bill in April this year. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme
  • The rebate will be made as a direct payment to eligible customers by the council and won’t have to be repaid
  • The property must be a chargeable dwelling, or in exemption classes N, S, U or W. Exemption classes N,S,U and W are in respect of properties where all occupants are either; Full Time Students, Under 18’s, Deemed Severely Mentally Impaired, or where a property is an annexe to the main household and all occupants of the annexe are dependant relatives of the main household occupants
  • The person who is liable to pay the council tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body
  • For those who need help with their energy bills but are not eligible – such as households on income support in higher bands (E-H) local authorities will receive discretionary funding to help.

What this means

  • A property that meets all the criteria, but has a nil council tax liability as a result of local council tax support/reduction, will be eligible.
  • A property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home will not be eligible.
  • An unoccupied property (for the purposes of calculating council tax) will not be eligible.
  • A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) will not be eligible.

If you are ineligible for the main rebate scheme, further updates regarding the payment and application process in respect of our Discretionary Scheme will be provided shortly. You do not need to contact our offices at this time.

Apply online and the payment process

We have now processed automatic payments to customers whom have a Direct Debit setup for Council Tax, where the Direct Debit details (i.e. account holders name) match those of the liable party on our Council Tax records. The £150 payment will show on your bank account/statement as WIGAN MBC CTREBATE followed by your Council Tax account number.

If the Direct Debit bank account details used to pay Council Tax do not match those of the liable party on our Council Tax records (i.e. use of maiden name, family pay the bill or any other reason). You will be invited to apply for payment and will need to confirm how you want to receive your rebate payment using the unique code we have sent to you and your Council Tax account number.

We are now also accepting claims from customers whom do not pay Council Tax by Direct Debit. You will be invited to apply for payment shortly and will need to confirm how you want to receive your rebate using the unique code we have sent to you and your Council Tax account number. Please do not attempt to apply for payment until you have received your unique invitation. When making an application you must input your details exactly as they appear on your Council Tax bill.

If you feel you are eligible for a rebate payment but your household has not received a unique invitation to claim by 4 June 2022, you can email Or contact us on 01942 489015. If emailing please ensure you include your full name, address and (where applicable) your Council Tax account reference number.

Set up a Direct Debit

We offer customers a choice of five dates each month when they can pay. These are the 1st, 6th, 15th, 21st and 27th. You can also ask to pay over 12 months instead of 10, or however many months remain in the year.

You are also protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee, which promises that you will get your money back straight away if anything goes wrong.

Any further questions?

If you have any further questions about the Council Tax Rebate scheme (energy grant), take a look at our frequently asked questions page.

Valuation Office Agency

The Valuation Office Agency is responsible for setting the bands for Council Tax properties, you can find out (and challenge if you feel its incorrect) your Council Tax band by visiting the Valuation Office website (external link).

Further support available

Council Tax

There are several Discounts or Exemptions that can reduce your Council Tax bill if you meet the qualifying criteria.

Further information and how to apply can be found on our Council Tax pages.

If you are struggling to pay the amounts due please do not ignore the problem, talk to us, we are here to help.

Further information can be found on our support page.


If you are on a low income you could qualify for help towards Rent through Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. You may also be entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction.

Get an estimated assessment with our online calculator (external link).

If you already receive some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but not enough to cover all your rent, you could qualify for extra support through Discretionary Housing Payments.

Further information and how to apply can be found on our Benefits and Grants pages.

Welfare support

We are working in partnership with organisations and agencies to provide advice and support to people in crisis. Examples of crisis may include:

  • Having no means of providing food for yourself or your family
  • Being homeless or finding yourself at risk of being homeless
  • Having no basic necessities to manage your home.

Further information and how to apply can be found on our Welfare Support pages.

© Wigan Council