We are now working in partnership with organisations and agencies to provide advice and support to people in crisis. Examples of crisis may include:
- Having no means of providing food for yourself or your family
- Being homeless or finding yourself at risk of being homeless
- Having no basic necessities to manage your home.
Welfare support may qualify you for food parcels, gas and electric vouchers and furniture packages. Professionals can make a referral for welfare support on someone else's behalf by completing our online form.
- Refer a client for welfare support online
- Alternatively, you can visit Wigan Life Centre, The Wiend, Wigan, WN1 1NH or Leigh Life Centre, Leigh Library, Turnpike Centre, Civic Square, Market Street WN7 1EB
Please note that we do not make cash payments or pay out crisis loans.
We can offer:
- Free, confidential and impartial advice and support on a range of welfare benefits
- Help with completing claim forms
- Guidance and support when making appeals.
There are a number of ways you can access welfare rights advice and guidance:
- Request an appointment to see a Welfare Rights Advisor for help with P.I.P, DLA and AA forms or have a general welfare rights enquiry.
- Arrange a home visit if you are house bound
- You can also get advice about individual benefits and tax credits at GOV.UK
- Visit one of our outreach surgeries:
Outreach surgeries - dates and times
||9am - 12pm, Sunshine House, Scholes
||9am - 12pm, Atherton Library
9am - 11am, Ashton Library, Wigan Road, Ashton (to commence on Tue 6th Feb)
||9am - 12pm, Pensioners Link, Charles Street, Leigh
2pm - 4pm, Marsh Green Library
||2pm - 4pm, Golborne Library
Unify Credit Union
We are working with Unify Credit Union (external link) to provide support to people who may require financial assistance or be in need of help to set up a home.
Unify Credit Union will support people in a crisis and in need of significant financial assistance and will treat each application on its own merits. The amount that people are able to borrow will be determined by affordability. The Credit Union can also make appropriate referrals where affordability is an issue.