Household Support Fund

Wigan Council have received government funding for the Household Support Fund. The funding is to support households in the most need with food, energy and water bills and with other wider essential costs through the winter months.

The scheme runs from 6 October 2021 to 31 March 2022 inclusive.

Are you eligible?

When assessing requests for support, we will take into account hardship or the risk of experiencing poverty or financial difficulties.

To be eligible for the Household Support Fund, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You live in the borough of Wigan (if you don't live in Wigan borough, you must apply to your own local authority)
  • Be aged 16 years or more
  • Applicants with no recourse to public funds can apply regardless of their immigration status, if there is a genuine care need that does not arise solely from destitution for example if:
    • There are community care needs
    • They have serious health problems
    • There is a risk to a child’s wellbeing.

You do not need to be in receipt of benefits to apply.

What support is available?

There is a variety of support available for:

  • Payments or vouchers towards Food
  • Help towards energy and water payments
  • White goods
  • Other essential items
  • In exceptional circumstances support with housing costs.

Supporting information

You will need to provide evidence to support your claim, which may include:

  • Proof of identity e.g. passport
  • Proof of your bank account for payment e.g. your most recent bank statement.

How to make a claim

Requests for support will be directed through our current local welfare support offer.

To make a claim for the COVID Local Support Grant, you will need to:

You can apply more than once and multiple awards can be made to the same household if the need is identified. 

The scheme will run from 6 October 2021 until 31 March 2022.

What to do if you don't agree with the decision

If you’ve been refused an award under the COVID Local Support Grant or you’re awarded less support than requested, you can ask the Council to review the decision.

Your request must be made in writing to within one month of being notified of the decision.

The review will be conducted by an officer who was not involved in the original decision and is of an appropriate grade. There is no statutory right to appeal against a decision not to award a grant, or against the value or composition of any grant.

Complaints regarding the administration of the scheme should be made using the Council’s complaints procedure. The only further recourse is through judicial review.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council