Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

What is changing?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64. This is initially just for new claims only. There are no plans to change DLA for children under 16 years old and adults aged 65 or over.

PIP will include an assessment of your individual needs and may helps with some of the extra costs caused by ill-health or disability. It is based on how your condition affects you, not the condition you have.

What are you entitled to?

Payments are made up of a daily living component and a mobility component. You could get money for one or both parts, at either a standard or enhanced rate. The benefit is not means tested or taxed.

The rates are:

  • Standard mobility £22.65
  • Enhanced mobility £59.75
  • Standard daily living component £57.30
  • Enhanced daily living component £85.60

How is PIP assessed?

PIP is based on an assessment of your individual needs. It focuses on your ability to carry out a range of key activities necessary to everyday life. Information will be gathered from you, as well as healthcare and other professionals who work with you and support you. Most people will also be asked to have a face-to-face consultation with a trained independent assessor as part of the claim process.

Who is affected?

If you already receive Disability Living Allowance and are aged between 16 and 64 you will need to apply for the new Personal Independence Payment. The Department for Work and Pensions is getting in touch with people with life or indefinite awards from October 2015.

Anyone who receives a fixed term award of DLA after October 2013 will have to claim PIP.

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment.

© Wigan Council