Apply for welfare support

Complete this form if you are:

  • A person who is in financial crisis or is vulnerable - see examples of crisis
  • A professional contacting us on behalf of a client.

By filling in the welfare support form, you may qualify for food parcels, gas and electric vouchers and furniture packages.

Before you apply

Before making a referral for welfare support, you will need to read the Local Welfare Support Policy and consider the following:


Reasons you may NOT be able to apply for welfare support

You cannot apply for welfare support if you:

  • Are a Looked After Child being supported by the Local Authority e.g. private fostering
  • Are applying because you have had your benefit disallowed (must apply to DWP Hard ship payments)
  • Are applying because you are subject to a benefit sanction (apply to DWP Hardship payments)
  • Are resident in a care home or other supported accommodation, unless there are plans for discharge within eight weeks
  • Are a hospital in-patient unless there are plans for discharge within eight weeks
  • Are lawfully detained unless there are plans for release within eight weeks
  • Are a member of and are being maintained by a religious order
  • Have applied for assistance with items for independent living in the last 28 days and there is no significant change in circumstances
  • Have needs that can be met from another source, this includes if the Council has a statutory duty to meet an expense, e.g. a Disabled Facilities Grant under Section 24(1)(a) of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996, or under the provisions of Section 17 of the Children Act 1989; or if you have existing disposable income or capital.

Have you had your benefits stopped because of a sanction?

If so, you may be eligible for a hardship payment. Please contact your local Jobcentre Plus (external link) to discuss further. Our scheme does not cover this.

Are you eligible for a budgeting loan?

If you have received one of the following benefits for over 26 weeks, then you may be eligible for a budgeting loan.

  • Income support
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit customers can apply for advance payment by contacting their local Jobcentre Plus (external link).
  • Find out more information about budgeting loans (external link) and apply online.

You MUST complete the income/benefits section of the form or your application will not be processed.

Complete the welfare support form

© Wigan Council