The aims of the Biodiversity Study are to identify:
- the UK biodiversity priority habitats and regionally important habitats that are critical to the identity of the borough;
- sites that have the potential to support protected and biodiversity priority species;
- the areas where development pressures could threaten the ecology of the borough;
- where opportunities exist to invest in and enhance the landscape and biodiversity character; and
- gaps in the available data resources and determine where future work could be targeted.
Wigan's Biodiversity: An Audit of the Biodiversity Resource within the Borough