Personal licences

A personal licence authorises an individual to supply alcohol, or to authorise the supply of alcohol, in accordance with a premises licence.

These licences are portable between different premises in England and Wales.

A personal licence:

  • is granted to an individual;
  • has effect indefinitely; and
  • ceases to have effect when lapsed, expired, surrendered, suspended or revoked

Application Process

All applications for personal licences should be made to the authority in which you are ordinarily resident.

Before applying, please ensure you have read the guidance for new applicants. 

There is currently a £37.00 fee associated with this application.  Payment should be made online via the above link, and the payment date and reference quoted with the application when submitted.

This application must be submitted via post and sent to: Regulatory Services Business Team, PO Box 100, Wigan, WN1 3DS.

In determining an application for a personal licence the Act states that we must grant the licence if it appears to us that:

  • You are 18 years-old or over
  • You possess a relevant licensing qualification
  • No personal licence held by you has been forfeited in a period of five years ending with the date you make your application
  • You have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence.

If you have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence and the Chief Officer of Police is satisfied that granting the licence would undermine the crime prevention objective, he must send us an objection within 14 days. We must then hold a hearing unless it is deemed unnecessary by us, the Chief Officer of Police and yourself.

If it is necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective we must refuse your application.

How long will my application take?

We aim to determine applications within 21 days from receipt of a completed application, including payment.

If relevant objections are received from the Chief Officer of Police the application cannot be determined within the above timescale, as the application will be referred to the Council's Licensing Sub-Committee for determination.

Renewal Applications

The Government has now removed the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 10 years. The Deregulation Bill (external link) now known as the Deregulation Act 2015 received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015, with the requirement to renew a personal licence being formally removed from 1st April 2015.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before we can grant it.  Please contact us if you have not heard from us within 21 days.

Failed Application

If an applicant or the police are aggrieved by our decision, either party can appeal to the Magistrates’ Court within 21 days receipt of the determination notice. 

Duties of a Personal Licence Holder

The holder of a personal licence must comply with the duties of a personal licence holder as set down by the Act, and failure to comply is an offence.

Change of Circumstances

You must let us know of any change in circumstances. This includes:

  • A change of name and / or address
  • Any conviction for a relevant or foreign offence
  • If you wish to surrender a licence
  • If you require a duplicate copy of a licence following loss / theft

There is a fee of £10.50 for any change that requires a new licence to be issued. All the above requests must be made in writing to us at Licensing Section, PO Box 100, Wigan, WN1 1DS.

Payment should be made online via the above link, and the payment date and reference quoted with any correspondence that is submitted.

Public Register

We are legally required to keep a public register. If you wish to check if someone is a personal licence holder please email

© Wigan Council