Premises licences

You need a premises licence to provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment and to sell alcohol in a premises within Wigan Borough.

Who can apply?

Any of the following may apply for a licence:

  • Anyone who carries on a business in the premises
  • A recognised club
  • A recognised charity
  • A health service body
  • A person registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • Anyone discharging a statutory function under Her Majesty’s prerogative
  • A person from an educational institute
  • Any other permitted person.

You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a licence.

Licensable activities

The following are licensable activities:

  • Sale of retail by alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of late night refreshment.

Regulated entertainment

Regulated entertainment includes:

  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting event
  • Boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • Performance of live music
  • Playing of recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Making music
  • Dancing.

A person provides late night refreshment if at any time between 11pm and 5am he supplies hot food or drink to members of the public on or from any premises, whether for consumption on or off the premises

Premises is defined as:

Any place and includes a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure.

This licence will allow the licence holder to use the premises to which it relates for licensable activities.

Apply online (GOV.UK)

Fees and charges

See our fees and charges page.



Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council