Apply for building regulations approval

If you're unsure if you need building regulations approval please see:

Before you start work

It is illegal to start work without notifying us first. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it.

You will also need a certificate of compliance if you want to sell your home.

If you don’t obtain a completion certificate it may void the insurance policy on the property. It is strongly advised you check this with your insurer.

Apply for building regulations approval
Application formDescriptionGuidance notes

Apply for a building notice

For minor work on single family houses such as garage conversions, toilet installations and small extensions.

You don't need to submit any plans but you must be confident that the work being done will comply with building regulations. You risk having to fix any issues after we have inspected if it is not correct.

Building notice guidance

Apply for full plans submission

Submit detailed plans of the work you are doing. It is cheaper and gives you the most protection.

Full plans guidance

Apply for electrical work building notice

For electrical work carried out by a person who is not Part P registered. This relates only to the notifiable work below:

- New consumer unit

- New electrical circuit

- Rooms containing a swimming pool or sauna heater

- Work within certain zones in a room containing a bath or shower.

Electrical work

Apply for replacement windows or doors building notice

For replacement windows and doors if the glazing in the door is greater than 50% and the installer is not registered with an appropriate competent persons scheme.

Please note an application is not required for the replacement of glazing only.


Apply for partner authority scheme (full plans)

For architects and designers who wish to partner with Wigan Council Building Control.

This enables us to plan check your building regulation application no matter where in the country the work is constructed.

This provides a more consistent interpretation of the regulations along with a good working relationship. For more information see LABC (external link) 

Partnership guidance notes

I've already started work

If you started work without getting building regulations approval you must now apply (there will be a charge).

We'll check whether it meets the building regulations standards and issue you a certificate if it has. If it doesn't meet standards you might have to correct the work or pay a fine.

Please note: You cannot get approval for any work completed before 12 November 1985.

Fees and payments


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council