Join our new training programme and take your first steps into a career in care.
What is Step Into Care?
Wigan Council have teamed with Wigan & Leigh College and our Care Providers to create Step Into Care. It’s a short training programme for residents aged 19+ to get a taste of a career in adult social care. Basic First Aid, awareness of Health and Safety, an introduction to palliative care and an awareness of food hygiene are just some of the areas you’ll cover. Gaining, transferable skills and enjoying valuable, hands-on experience in a variety of care settings, this is your start to building a successful career in a growing care sector.
How will it work?
The programme starts end October 2023 and is a mixture of college-based learning and work experience.
- Weeks 1-4: 2 days a week in college
- Weeks 5-8: 2 days a week in a work placement
- Week 9: CV and interview support.
We’ve kept the programme to just two days a week to help you fit it around any existing work or family commitments.
Why should I join?
- You’ll gain transferable skills, including CV and interview support
- Guaranteed interview at the end
- Level 1 Award in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care Hands on experience working in the care sector
- Work the programme around your current commitments
- Open the door to a new career
- Join a growing sector with career progression.
Join us at one of our enrolment and advice days:
Centre of Advanced Technical Studies, New Market Street, Wigan, WN1 1RP
- Tuesday 5th September, 4pm – 7pm
Leigh Adult Learning Centre, Walmesley Road, Leigh, WN7 1XL
- Wednesday 6th September, 4pm – 7pm
If you can’t make one of the enrolment days don’t worry. If you’re interested in joining the programme, just let us know by filling our short "I'm interested" form and we’ll be in touch.