Transport and travel - SEND
Children and young people with SEND can apply for a National Travel Concessionary Pass from Transport for Greater Manchester. With this pass, you can travel free on buses, trains and trams in Greater Manchester and to some nearby towns during off-peak hours:
- From 9.30am to midnight, Monday to Friday
- All day at weekends and on public holidays. You can also travel free on buses anywhere in England between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
To find out if you’re eligible and more visit the TfGM website (external link).
How to apply
If you are eligible you can either:
- Write to Travel Concessions, Customer Services, PO Box 429, Manchester M60 1HX
- Phone 0161 244 1050 (7am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm at weekends and public holidays).
Please note, if the person is over 18 the application needs to be sent to the Locality Team where they live to confirm eligibility.
Home to school travel
We can provide assistance with travel from home to school for children with special educational needs and disabilities.
Assessments will be undertaken on an individual basis before offering the most appropriate support from a range of options including:
- Bus pass (and parent fare reimbursed if needed)
- Mileage paid to parent/carer
- Independent travel training
- Taxi or minibus (utilising pick up points).
Dedicated door to door transport will only be offered where all other options are not practical or possible. Transport provision will be reassessed annually.
If you wish to be assessed for eligibility of travel assistance, please fill out the form below:
Independent Travel Training scheme
We provide an independent travel training scheme known as Liberty. It enables students to travel independently to and from school and other social activities. The scheme has incredible benefits for all in terms of confidence and freedom to mix with peers.
Travel Training will be provided for pupils who meet the criteria which will be assessed by someone from the council through a home visit.
The scheme enables pupils to develop travel independence at their own pace and the training covers various topics depending on the needs of the student, including:
- Personal safety
- Road safety
- Recognising and avoiding dangerous situations
- Following directions
- Boarding the correct bus in the right direction
- Buying tickets.
To find out if you’re eligible complete the SEN Travel assistance application.