Home to School Travel

SEND Travel Assistance form - Deadline 2021 →

In order to ensure that your application for travel assistance is considered before school begins in September 2021 please note the deadlines below:

SEND Year 6 to Year 7 Deadline Monday 12th April 2021

SEND Early Years Deadline Friday 23rd April 2021

SEND Post 16 Deadline Friday 7th  May 2021

Please note that the Final Deadline for All applications is Friday the 7th May 2021.

Any applications that are submitted after this date may not be processed in time for the start of the academic year in September.

Children attending mainstream schools

We provide free school travel passes to pupils if:

  • They live more than 3 miles from the nearest available school (regardless of faith), they must attend this school in order to be eligible for the pass
  • They are from a low income family and attend one of the three nearest schools of the same faith, this must be over the statutory walking distance which is 2 miles from home to school.

Low income families are classed as those who:

  • Get the full amount of working tax credit or other forms of benefits such as ESA, JSA or income support
  • Have children who get free school meals.

If you would like to check if your child is entitled to a free travel pass, please contact us by filling in our online Travel Pass enquiry form. We will aim to get back to you within 5 working days.

Faith schools

If you are considered low income and your child goes to a faith school, they may be able to get a free school travel pass if they live in a parish belong to that school.

Our list of parishes and the schools they belong to will help you decide if this applies to you.

If you think that your child may be eligible for a free school travel pass, please contact us by filling in our Travel Pass enquiry form.

College travel

If you attend full time courses at college or sixth form, you may be eligible for a reimbursement of up to £50 per academic year if you meet certain criteria. The criteria can be found in the Post 16 Transport Policy.

School buses, routes, fares and replacement bus passes

Please contact Transport for Greater Manchester (external link) on 0161 244 1000 for information on yellow school buses, school bus routes and fares and replacement bus passes.

Children with Special Educational Needs

We can provide assistance with travel from home to school for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Covid-19 response

The Government has recently released guidance around Transport for Schools returning in September - Updated on 29th September 2020.

The Government guidance states that dedicated transport to schools and other places of education often carries the same group of children or young people on a regular basis. They do not mix with the general public on those journeys which helps limit the number of other people with whom they come into contact with.

This guidance aims to help those responsible for the provision of dedicated transport to put in place safeguards to further minimise the risk of transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

We will be working with our Staff, Schools and Transport Providers to follow the above guidance as part of our Covid-19 response.

As set our in the guidance, from the autumn term local authorities will not be required to uniformly apply the social distancing guidelines for public transport on dedicated school or college transport.

However, we will be adopting a number of additional measures laid out in this guidance and distancing will still be put in place within vehicles wherever possible.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council