I'm a Parent

Concerned about your child's progress or needs?

The first person to contact with any concerns about your child’s progress or needs is their class teacher. They will be able to discuss the issues with you and tell you what the school can do to help.

Support is available for:

The schools Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENCO) may also be able to support you.

You can find out what your school does to provide extra help by looking at their SEN Information Report.

If you would like someone to support you in visiting the school to discuss your child’s needs, you can contact Embrace on 01942 233323.

What happens next?

Schools must follow a 'graduated approach', this means looking at each child as an individual and exploring the support they need to help them learn. Information must be revisited and revised to understand how your child learns and how they can be supported to make good progress.

After talking to you and your child, the school may decide to give them extra help in school. After an agreed time, this will be reviewed to see if progress has been made.

If further support is needed, schools may ask for advice from specialists and follow their suggestions. After an agreed period of time they would review your child’s progress. These specialists include:

What if progress is still not good?

You or your child’s school can apply for an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan to provide extra support and enable your child to achieve.

At every stage, school will want to work with you and your child to make sure your child overcomes any barriers to their learning.

In this section

Related pages

Related documents

© Wigan Council