Missing persons

In all missing persons cases, you should first of all contact the Police and file a missing person's report.

It is vital that you provide the Police with as much information as possible:

  • A description of the missing person
  • When they were last seen and by whom
  • A recent photograph
  • Addresses of family members
  • Known acquaintances
  • Any previous history of absconding
  • Name and address of their doctor and dentist
  • Any changes in behaviour
  • Any relevant circumstances which increase the risk to the missing person.

Children looked after (in care)

If a child or young person who lives with foster carers or in a children's home is absent without permission, they are considered 'missing'.

This is usually when the carer(s) or staff have no indication that they are likely to come home within a short period of time, or where there is immediate concern for their safety, due to things like their age, maturity, a history of absconding, etc.

If a child you are fostering has gone missing, you should contact his or her social worker, who will then initiate immediate action.

Outside office hours, you should phone the emergency duty social worker on 01942 489011 (opening hours 5pm to 8.45am, 7 days a week)

Missing from school

We can also help pupils, parents and schools when a child is missing from school because of issues such as bullying, exclusion, truancy, child protection, child employment and children in entertainment. Contact us on 01942 487139 for information (opening hours 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

Other contacts

  • Missing persons helpline - 0500 700 700 - 24 hour
  • Greater Manchester Police - 0161 872 5050 - 24 hour
  • Message home - for young people to get a message to their parents - 0800 700 740 - 24 hour
  • Foster carers further information - 01942 487203 - 8.45 - 5pm - 7 days a week

© Wigan Council